Monday, February 13, 2006

Overheard.

I have unpacked 8 boxes today. *bow* I need another bookshelf. I have SO MANY BOOKS. I feel like maybe I could weed some out and take them to Half-Price Books... but it just seems wrong somehow. I can never bring myself to get rid of a book, you know?

I went to TCU this morning to meet with the College of Nursing, the Admissions Office, and Financial Aid. It was sooo strange to walk around campus. They all looked like babies. I don't feel like I went to college that long ago, but it was well before the age of ubiquitous cell phones and little white earbuds. The quote of the day was: "I don't think she miscalculated; she just forgot to add."

My landlady is 83 years old, and has managed this building for over 50 years. Her name is Esther and when I went into her apartment to pick up my keys, I noticed she was reading Bill Mahr and a bulletin board displaying every democratic political button since the Truman administration. Including one of Bush and Cheney that says "Weapons of Mass Deception." Ha! Crazy, right? She also had a large cross-stitched "SHALOM" on the wall. She is a character.

So, yesterday, she knocks on my door and asks how I'm settling in. I said "Fine, thanks for asking. I'm just unpacking and cleaning." She answered, "Well, let me know if you need any help with anything. Except unpacking or cleaning." Bah!! I love this woman already. I should make a recurring article entitled "The Sass of Esther."

OK, this has been a nice break, but I have books to unpack. *sigh* Tonight was going to be an incredibly pivotal Monday night for me.... the first time I will have EVER seen The West Wing Monday Night Marathon on Bravo in my own home. Then I looked at the schedule and noticed there was no Monday Night Marathon. Wha' happen'??

4 comments:

Gina said...

ROFL I think I love your landlady already too. Do share her with the rest of the class.

I am struggling with the fact that I haven't watched GA yet, (and I was almost about to freak when I could see the start of your post so I immediately fled your blog screaming) tonight is "24", plus it's women's snowboarding on the Olympics. Gah! Of course my kids want to see chicks doing arials. LOL

hello jamie: said...

I didn't give anything away, G, you can read. :-)

Can't wait to see you next weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I want an Esther.

iamchanelle said...

hey, thanks for the martini tips! the vermouth was a bit strong, so i may just "glance at the bottle" next time, too. :)
i can't wait to read your esther features, should they ever come. she sounds awesome!