Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Help!

OK, I need some boy help. Not help WITH a boy, help BY a boy. Or, even just someone who is more "handy" that I am, which honestly, could be a 4-year old girl or maybe even an orangutan.

So, I got new cabinet knobs for my kitchen. They're pretty sweet. They look like this:


I installed most of them ALL BY MYSELF, using my new girlie power drill and I think, if I may say so, I did a pretty nice job.


So, they have a long screw, (or bolt? not sure of the correct terminology) that doesn't have a hole in the head, and it goes through the knob and has a nut on the back side, like this:

The old knobs had regular Phillips heads that screwed into the knob itself on the other side of the cabinet door. Well, I also got knobs for the doors to my kitchen but I just realized that the knobs on the doors are double-sided, so they screw into each other, like this:



So, my question is, how can I install the red knobs onto my doors, since they don't actually screw themselves, but need a nut??

Just for the record, I am not fond of home improvement. Although I did install a towel rod in the bathroom yesterday. And similar cabinet knobs in coke-bottle green. This is just not a hobby I can get behind.

Can anyone help a damsel in distress??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a jury-rigging or a trip to Home Depot in your future.
Ask Fizz if he comes to the Trin tonight, he's Mr. Fancy-Architecture-Construction-Science-Degree-Guy.
Cheers
btw- why do I have to copy those letter characters to post a reply? Is that a "required minimum literacy" test or something?

hello jamie: said...

it's so I don't get spammed, yo.

So the Trin is on?

krysten said...

i say just paint the white knobs red.

Ta-DAAAAA!

haha!

hello jamie: said...

Remind me to never let you near my house with paint or tools of any kind- haha!

I've been meaning to e-mail you aaaaallll day. Wish you were here, K, we're hitting Trinity Hall tonight; your Irish eyes'd be smiling!!

krysten said...

i'll have you know, love, that i am actually quite handy!

i've just never tried to install cabinet knobs on a door before!

only thing i can think of is to see if a lowes or home depot has a double ended carriage or machine screw in that diameter. if you bring in the knob, maybe one of the guys there can assist you in the search.

otherwise, just go pick out some clear glass doorknobs...wont be red, but at least a step closer to that look than the white balls.