Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cheers...ski

I sporadically toy with the idea of making another blog dedicated just to books, or just to food, but then I remember how much time I waste on this one, and I decide against it. So, if you're not a foodie, skip this entry.

I went to Pravda last night, another concept from the Manhattan genius Keith McNally.

Joyce and I ordered the Zakouski Platter, which had a sampling of spinach and cheese pirozhki, roasted eggplant dip on toast (which was somewhat like baba ganoush but had red peppers in it, so I didn't eat it), tiny scrambled egg/caviar tartlets, and crispy potato pancakes with a creamy cheese, fresh dill, and Scottish smoked salmon. It was like buttah. Then we ordered these lemon-parsley chicken skewers with spicy walnut sauce (again, with red peppers, blech, but the chicken was good) and these teeny hamburgers with french fries. SO good. Tom and Julio joined us by then and we all had dessert: they the warm chocolate cake with sour cherry compote and we the creme de cassis crepes with black currants. To. die. for.

Now, onto the drinks. I actually feel surprisingly well this morning considering the amount of Russian vodka I consumed. My first cocktail was the Leninade (*snort*) which was kind of like a vodka mojito: Citron vodka, lemon juice, and fresh crushed mint. It was really good, fresh and tart, but after that I moved on to the Gramsci: Pravda's own spiced cranberry infusion and lignonberries. Unbelievable. Very spicy and wintry- I think my favorite of the night. My third drink was the Ginger Fizz, which was ginger-infused vodka, lime juice, and club soda, with a huge slice of fresh ginger as a garnish. It was quite tasty, if you like ginger (I do) - I think the fizzy club soda was a great pairing with the strong flavor. After that we just moved right on to the Jewel of Russia, which is one of my favorite vodkas. I prefer the cranberry infusion, it's bright red and super-tart, but they only had Wild Bilberry, which was really sweet but low enough in alcohol content (about half that of regular vodka) to be a good move on our part.

Joyce left us for 24 but Tom and Julio and I stayed out until almost 1am. Probably not the best decision, as I had to be here at 7:30am this morning and won't leave until close to midnight. *yawn* BUT, it was worth it. Great food, great drinks, great company: all the ingredients for a letter-perfect GDE (tm Scotticus).

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope you taped or TVO-ed 24, because it was SOOO fantastic. Sam Wise is flippin out and the Presidents Wife is messing with the presidents idiotic plans...-=sigh=- Fabulous!

krysten said...

i agree!! sam wise is all "what was that?!" "are you doing something behind my back" "who are you talking to?!" "whats going on?"

i'm surprised his head didnt go flying across the room from the way he was whipping it around. haha!

and again, logan being a spineless wuss. i dont even like LOOKING at that guy!

and HOUSE. ohmygah! i hope (know) you TVR'd that too bc WOW. WOW.

and ps - i'm so jealous of your dinner. i had spaghetti. and ice water.

Brain Diva said...

J., you always find the best food anywhere! This just sounds so yummy. We have to meet up again for food extravanganza.

hello jamie: said...

I faux-vo'ed both, of course. And yes, Gen, I looooove food!!!!!! I'll go food-ing with you again ANYtime. Long time no see! How are you?

iamchanelle said...

hey! you had the chicken skewers! nice! i was so intrigued about that walnut sauce, but i guess you couldn't tell me, since they had the evil red peppers in them.

and another hey! i saw you had a foodie blog link and was excited to see who you read, and....it was me! i should probably go write something interesting in there now....hmmmm....

The Bagboy said...

You know, considering how in the real world the president can't sneeze without it showing up in the news, I can't believe this absolute lummox (Logan) is still in office. What an ineffectual ass.

Brain Diva said...

I'm okay, if a bit of a hermit these days. Spent the weekend with the family in Montreal though, which was super nice. I promise to update my blog in the next few days. :)