Friday, April 07, 2006

Vacation Day 5: you think I'm going to do this every day don't you?

Probably not.

I have come to the conclusion that I love being a stay-at-home mom wife person. Quite frankly, it rocks. I woke up at 8am all rested and immediately got down to work in my bedroom which, I can now say, is DONE! I am so excited. It took me forever and it seems like just when I thought I had "one more box" it revealed 10 more projects. How did I accumulate so much CRAP in less than 30 years? Geez.

Yesterday I had six loads of laundry: I put one in the washer and when it went into the dryer, put another in a washer, then about 30 minutes later put another in the other washer (we have 2 washers and 1 dryer and yes, this story is going somewhere). See, the staggering of the loads is very important so you don't have wet clothes lying around.. I ran out of quarters with the 3rd load and ran over to Albertsons to get some more (where I parked between a Mercedes and a Bentley, but how I can afford to live in this neighborhood is another story for another time). I got back home and went to get out the dry clothes ... and realized that the dryer only blowing air, not heat, and due to my brilliant staggering plan now had THREE WET LOADS of laundry (plus the three dirty loads still in my apartment). I was mildly irritated, to say the least. I called the service number on the dryer and they were all "Yeah, someone called that in yesterday" like THANKS FOR LEAVING A NOTE, person who called in yesterday. To make a long story longer, I threw everything in trash bags and drove over to the corner I was certain had a laundromat on it, only to find out I was sadly mistaken, and had to come back home to look one up on the internet. Anyway, I finally found one nearby and determined that when you have 6 loads of laundry, it is worth the money to go somewhere where you can do it all at once. It cost me around $10 and I spent about 2 hours as opposed to running back and forth to the laundry room all damn day. Brilliant.

So anyway, earlier today, I saw yet another octegenarian shuffling past my window. She had a teeny, tiny laundry basket of towels on one of those hand carts like you use in Manhattan to take home your groceries. I watched her to see if she was going to the laundry room or her car (so I could warn her about the dryer) and saw her turn the corner and her little basket tipped over! It was so sad! She spilled her Downy all over the cement. I ran out to help her, and told her about the dryer, so she said she would wait, and she had the cart because her shoulder was hurting. I offered to carry her basket back to her apartment, which you know, took about a minute, and then she proceeded to TALK FOR THE NEXT 30 MINUTES. Dude. I couldn't get a word in edgewise! She was really cute and it made me sad because she is probably lonely. She didn't have a TV in her apartment (which freaked me out, of course) but she was working on a photograph collage for her family reunion in August. It was adorable. She also had this really cool hardback suitcase in her living room that was covered in travel stickers. Imagine all the places that suitcase has been! I love old people.

Anyway, I am starting to really love my little apartment. Now that it's finally clean, when are you coming to visit?

7 comments:

hello jamie: said...

Sure, I'll read your blog AnnaMarie! You're welcome here anytime!

Anonymous said...

I'll be arriving on your doorstep in, oh let's say 5 mins.

...how creepy would that be?

hello jamie: said...

It would be impressive if you could get to Texas from Canada that quickly! Who are you, The Flash?

I have all your Friends DVDs here, though. :)

Dannybrou said...

When can I come to visit????

hello jamie: said...

Anytime, of course!

Dannybrou said...

I am going out of town this thursday through sunday. Oregon for a mission trip. I will be back next week. maybe lunch???? I miss you like crazy.

bruce

hello jamie: said...

sounds good!! give me a call.