Thursday, April 27, 2006

My rose of San Antone

Ohmigah, I am staying in perhaps one of the skeeviest hotels of my career. Seriously, I'm not trying to be a princess, but it's NASTY. There was hair on the bathroom counter. There's a sticky ring of something on the nightstand. The room smells like... curry? I don't know but it's gross. And it's in the 'hood. Or the barrio. At any rate, the wrong side of the tracks. I'm guessing whoever booked these rooms didn't know about Fiesta and waited too long to get us decently-priced rooms on the Riverwalk.

So, I flew in last night to discover that I didn't have to work today. That's right, I could have stayed home another day. And actually, I didn't find out until I was dressed for work this morning. Sonuva! And I certainly wasn't going to hang out HERE all day... there's not even a gym! I did my 8-Minute Arms this morning with the iron and a Gideon Bible. It's the only work-out that could be done without getting on the floor. *shudders*

So I went to the Quarry... had a lovely peanut chicken salad at P.F. Chang's, did some shopping, saw a couple of movies, had some tortilla soup... all in all, a fine day, but one I wish I had been having in Dallas. I somehow forgot to pack a bra... except the one I was wearing, which happened to be black, so I HAD to make a Vic Secret run... then I went to the Gap and got a new pair of jeans, on sale, natch - can one ever have too many jeans? The emphatic answer, my friend, is NO. Then I found this bohemian tree-hugger store and bought some wicked-cool coasters made out of magazines from all over the world:



When you look closely you can see all the different languages on the papers. Then I went to Old Navy, because what's a shopping trip without Old Navy? and got this shirt which I plan to wear ironically, and perhaps photograph to e-mail to my mother. Feel the love? Mine is navy.

I saw 24: The Movie -- they're trying to fool us by calling it The Sentinel, but it's pretty much just 2 hours of 24. Plot holes the size of Texas, just like the television show! Except instead of getting across LA in a commercial break, he gets from Washington, DC to Toronto in the blink of an eye!! He's like The Flash, only prettier. It was a fun flick.

Then I saw Friends with Money- what a stellar cast of women (Frances McDormand, Catherine Keener, Joan Cusack, and Jennifer Aniston)! The acting was superb, but it's one of those uncomfortably realistic movies, like In Good Company or The Upside of Anger, with no big literary climax, so caveat emptor if you're looking for a summer blockbuster. I really enjoyed it!

*slump* I guess it's inevitable... work comes tomorrow.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Hmm...your hotel sounds an awful lot like my first apartment.

For a day that was supposed to involve work, the alternative sounds pretty great!

iamchanelle said...

WAY WAY cool coasters!!!!

i love hippie establishments. :)

i also love paul klee.

do you love paul klee?

do you love paul klee's sketch of an angel?

do you??? DO YOU????

:)

Kelly said...

I want to see that Al Gore movie, the one about global warming. Thanks for the heads up on the sentinle I was going to see it this weekend. Now I think I will see something else. 24 has gone off the deep end. Hello, he drove off a cliff, and did that retarded, "Tell Audry I love her" bit! I hope the weather is better in San Antonio, it is really crappy here in Austin. Suppose to get more crazy storms tonight.