Saturday, April 08, 2006

Thank You for Smoking.

Tonight was Dinner & a Movie with Erin: We saw the movie adaptation of Thank You for Smoking with Aaron Eckhart (and ps> E, that kid was the one who was in the creepy Nicole Kidman movie where she thought her dead husband was inhabiting the kid or whatever). It was a hilarious movie with a great cast: Maria Bello, William H. Macy, Robert Duvall, Rob Lowe (in a hysterical role), Adam Brody, and Hey it's that Guy!s David Koechner and J.K. Simmons. Oh yeah, and a shockingly horrific Katie Holmes. It's a really funny film about a tobacco lobbyist whom Eckhart embodies with perfect charm and smarm. In the movie, Vermont Senator Finistirre (Macy) wants to put a poison logo on every pack of cigarettes, and Naylor (Eckhart) starts arguing with him during the hearing about putting said logo on every airplane, and every automobile, and oh, yeah, every package of Vermont Cheddar, since cholesterol kills more people than cigarettes, and the Senator gets all frustrated and yells (without a hint of irony) "The great state of Vermont will not apologize for its cheese!" I also found it very interesting that in the entire movie about smoking, and smokers, and even a subplot about putting more smoking in movies to "up the cool factor"- we never once saw a single character smoking a cigarette.

Anyway, it made me remember that last time I was in Quebec, I kept a cigarette box because it was so funny. I don't read French, but I'm fairly certain (due to my context clues) that it tells us smoking causes erectile dysfuntion:


Brilliant.

5 comments:

krysten said...

ah, Robert Duvall. i do lika me a movie with robert duvall in it...

and yes...whether you can or can't read french...that definitely gets the point across...

btw, it says that cigarettes can cause sexual impotence because it reduces the circulation of blood in the penis. Which can render you unable to have an erection.

soooo, there you go. i find it particularly funny that they dont include this language on OUR cigarette boxes. and that the canadians arent as worried about the birth defects and low birth weight that we warn against on ours.

maybe more men smoke in canada and more women smoke in the us??

hello jamie: said...

Interesting point, K, I wonder what the warnings are in other countries.

Who can speak for Quebec-ians, really; they are the only people in the world who buy more Pepsi than Coke. *shrug*

Anonymous said...

I love Cameron Bright!

iamchanelle said...

HAHAHA! wow. yep...a picture is worth a thousand words!

Brain Diva said...

Yep, that one is about smoking leading to impotence. I hadn't seen it before. I saw many pertaining to emphysema, lung cancer, pregnancy with low-birth weight babies, but this one is very creative.

I'm surprised to hear Quebecers drink more Pepsi than Coke. My dad is the only person I know who drinks Pepsi. The rest of my extended family and friends drink Coke (Well, the ones woh drink cola. Personally, I don't.)