Tuesday, April 04, 2006

vacation day 2: on hold

I have had a migraine, on and off, for days. I had it last Tuesday, Wednesday, and bad on Thursday, woke up at 4am Saturday morning with it really bad... and it came back Sunday night and again last night. I still had it this morning so I finally drove myself to the doctor to get a shot of Torodol. She also gave me a new pill to try, Axert, and its literature explains to me that they still don't really know what causes migraines, but triggers can be food (alcohol, nitrates, MSG, aspartame), physical (too much or too little sleep, physical exertion), hormonal (menstruation or pre-menstruation), psychological (stress, post-stress), and environmental (glaring/bright flashing/flickering lights, weather changes, strong odors). It's like they read my diary and assigned me a diagnosis. Geez.

Anyway, my List has been put on the back burner, since my head hurts too bad to really DO anything, even watch TV. Besides my jaunt to the doctor's office (in sunglasses) I've just been lying around on my left side in the dark. Remember the dude inthe movie Pi who drilled a hole in his own head to relieve the pressure? That movie portrayed what a migraine feels like fairly accurately. So did that one episode of House. It drives me crazy when people call it "just a headache" because it's just... not anything like a headache, and only someone who has never had one would dream of calling it that.

Anyway, I'm going to go lie down with some ice on my left eye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the migraines, kid. But how about the euphoria? The euphoria's pretty good, isn't it?
Sorry I can't empathize either...unless it's the headache equivalent of getting hit in the nuts... and then, man, that stinks!

krysten said...

*hugs*

sorry, babe. i feel for you. :(

try some peppermint aromatherapy...make some peppermint tea and inhale the steam, or if you feel like going out, go get some peppermint oil to rub on your temples. theres my crunchy advice.

Anonymous said...

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is my father

hello jamie: said...

oh, Krysten. *pats head*

I have some peppermint tea and will gladly drink it, but I'm pretty sure modern medicine is going to win this round.

Actually, it already did... after 5 excruciating days I was "all better" about 30 minutes after the injection. I can't believe I didn't go sooner... but a $100 shot is always my last resort. *rolls eyes*