Sunday, July 09, 2006

People are weird.

So, I found this awesome place practically right outside the dock door called the Capitol Garage. It's like my dream come true - a coffee shop with salads and sandwiches and other goodies, all outside the box (you know how much I hate it when someone boxes up some iceberg lettuce and a cherry tomato and calls it a salad) PLUS a full bar. They also have my favorite potato chips of all time - Dirty's, in all my favorite flavors of salty goodness, including roasted garlic and herb, jalapeno heat, and cracked pepper & sea salt. Yum! Anyway, today I went over there and got this premade salad for lunch - it's spinach, black beans, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, and chicken, with some lime wegdes and some sort of awesome spicy hot ranch dressing. I come back and commence to shaking it up because it was in all these pretty layers, but you know, I wanted it all mixed up with the dressing and everything, and proceeded to rain a light layer of black beans all over the black carpet by my desk. And my khaki shorts. Awesome.

So I pick up all the beans, (sighing and rolling my eyes like a petulant teenager) and proceed to sit down and eat my salad, and look up the nearest Bank of American ATM. I'm just sitting here, calmly, eating my salad, looking at my computer screen, and this electrician came by and said, "man! you just never stop!" and I'm like "excuse me?" "You're just going going going all the time! Never stop working, do ya??" he crows, and I, rightfully confused, say "well, not until everything gets done, I suppose." He then proceeds to throw his head back and laugh uproariously as though I just told him the funniest story he ever heard. He frightened me, a little bit.

I just finished a book called The Planets, by Dava Sobel, and it's this really interesting break down about the science, history, and mythology of the planets in this lil' solar system. I'm a total science geek; I love reading stuff like that. I was reading about how when they do the manned moon orbits (the first was Apollo 8), when they're on the other side, the moon blocks all their radio contact to everywhere in the universe, so for like 28 minutes everything is completely dark and completely quiet. What a thrilling (and chilling) notion! The Challenger be damned, if I ever had the chance to go up there, I absolutely wouldn't hesitate. So, coincidentally aligned with my recent reading choice, I'm working at the Association of International Aeronautics and Astronautics this week, and I have to admit, I'm a little turned on by all these brilliant minds crammed into one room.

Rumor has it that Sacramento has a bar that sells Shinerbock and Lone Star Light on tap! I'm going to try and find it, but maybe not tonight because I'm halfway through my Weeds marathon and I really want to continue. I can't decide who is sexier, Jeffrey Dean Morgan or Mary-Louise Parker. HOTT!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Louise Parker is hotter. (And this coming from the gay guy...)

JDM is only cute on Grey's. And even then, he's a little too "perfect" my tastes.

Although when he's on Supernatural... wait, I may have to change my vote now...

:-)

Anonymous said...

I remember the radio silence thing from the Liv Tyler...er, Bruce Willis movie Armagedon-- yet another example of why I don't read that many books. Everything I need to know I learned in 1st grade [and movies] anyway, right?
Cheers.

krysten said...

LOL!! i love this:

He then proceeds to throw his head back and laugh uproariously as though I just told him the funniest story he ever heard. He frightened me, a little

including the link. hahaha! hysterical.

Brain Diva said...

That sounds like a cool book, J. Hopefully, I can get around to reading it. I had my space phase around the time Apollo 13 was released. I loved reading all these stories of astronauts. Have you ever seen "The Right Stuff"? That is the greatest movie ever made about astronauts. Two thumbs way way up for that movie.

That salad? Sounds delicious. Even if it landed everywhere.