Thursday, July 27, 2006

Is the bar getting lower??

Hello, dear readers, it is official: I am now a card-carrying member of Mensa International. Mensa is the so-called "High IQ" society - they actually didn't tell me what I scored, only that I scored in the top 98th percentile or above (but I'm betting I got in by the skin of my teeth). I join Geena Davis, Steve Martin, Isaac Asimov, and Jean Smart (as well as a whole bunch of famous scientists and psychologists, but we all know my trivial knowledge is mostly limited to pop culture). Mensa was founded by two English Barristers in Great Britain in 1946, and has a triple meaning in Latin of "mind, table, month" which suggested a monthly meeting of great minds. The Mensa Organization has a three-fold mission: to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research into the nature, characteristics, and uses of intelligence, and to provide a stimulating, intellectual, and social environment for its members.

The North Texas Mensa Affiliate is an extremely busy and social organization. They have something going on almost every day of the year, so I hope to get involved in some of their outreaches, including volunteering. I took my test at The Reading and Radio Resource Center, which, among other things, records books for the blind. I like that idea and hope to help out.

I'm hoping people will stop arguing with me now that I'm officially smart. Ahahahaha, just kidding. I really just wanted something to put on my grad school application to give me a leg up on the plebians others.

11 comments:

Bee said...

My boss is a Mensa member. He makes sure we know EVERYDAY. = 0

Anonymous said...

I've thought about getting involved with R&RR Center-- they also read daily news over a proprietary radio station for the blind, or more sensitively called 'the print impaired'. I recall there are several opportunities to volunteer for, but to read you need to audition. I'm building up the courage.
Also, it's interesting to note that while most consider Einstein a genius, spelling was never his strong suit. Just goes to show that all the simple mistakes I make really belie my genius status.
Cheers.

hello jamie: said...

You'd be great at that, Scottie! I wonder if there's any need for the news done in a Sean Connery impression, hmmm?

Anonymous said...

I schuschpect scho, Moneypenny.

Anonymous said...

I thought only girls could join the menses club. Am I missing something?

iamchanelle said...

a wise guy, eh?

:)

Anonymous said...

You're SMART, yo! :-)

The Bagboy said...

You're going to be insufferable now, aren't you?

krysten said...

LOL, the "menses club", hahahahahaha!

hey congrats Jamie! who said you weren't smart?? i'll beat 'em up...

now imagine how smart you'd be if you didn't drink! ;-P haha, i usually use the "i did drugs" excuse...or the "i had a baby" excuse...

hello jamie: said...

as if I wasn't insufferable before...

*wink*

Anonymous said...

it could be worse. You could be "sufferable"

:-)