Saturday, July 22, 2006

Last day

... of work until August 27! I'm so excited I might pee my pants, er... skirt. Last night was the big association shindig - I love how Texans in the event-planning industry perpetuate the myth that we all wear cowboy boots, listen to country music, and ride a horse to work by always throwing Texas-themed parties. We've had Mexican food, barbecue, and "home cookin'" so far this week (not that I'm complaining about the food... laws, no!).

Anyway, thankfully, the theme of last night's party was "Keep Austin Weird." We had The Spazmatics, an 80s cover band that were actually pretty fun, and the Texas Roller Girls. All I have to say is... I would be an awesome Roller Girl. I spent about an hour in 104 heat herding cattle... ibym "herding cattle..." "...directing attendees onto busses." Unbelievable. We had seven busses for these people, and they all got a free margarita when they got on board, which they had to drink in 7 blocks, because that's how far away the venue was. SEVEN BLOCKS! I don't even want to know how much it cost for 7 busses and 400 margaritas to get them seven blocks. We could have all held hands and walked there in a line in less time it took us just to load the bus. What a crock. When we got there, there were a bunch of crazy people with their art cars. I'm TO-tally going to start bedazzle the Maxima and wear a picture of it around my neck.

Anyway, it's been a fun week. I love Austin. I've had some really good food, and I got to go shopping in the South Congress district yesterday. I found a bunch of awesome stores: an antique store called Uncommon Objects that I could have spent hours looking around in, a boutique called Parts & Labor that only sells local designers, awesome, a toy store that had the most vast display of sock monkeys I've ever seen, and several rockin' thrift stores. I've also got to spend some time with my cousin Justin, which has been great! You can check out his quirky production house here, and when he's famous I'll get you all autographs.

I have a birthday party in Dallas tonight but I'm not sure I'm going to get out of here in time. We officially close at 10am and our "all out" time is 5pm... but honestly, it could be anywhere from noon to midnight. Speaking of, it's getting close to opening time, so I'd better get some work done. Hope everyone as a great weekend, and I'll see you on the flip side!!

2 comments:

Dannybrou said...

jamie.. is that the same justin that I met way back when on our way to North Carolina?

because if it is..I feel old.

Anonymous said...

i would pay good money to go see you as a roller girl. lol. if you think you'd be a good one, that must mean you've already thought of your stage name. time to share with the rest of the class.

by the way, i am very jealous of your month long vacation coming up, but you've certainly earned it. hope you have fun. :)