Thursday, January 12, 2006

Technology: the Double-Edged Sword


Well, this is just the worst thing ever. I've probably told some of you that my company keeps our laptops locked down. I, fortunately, have the admin password, so when I want to download something I shouldn't have, I just go in that way and do it. Cool, right?

Well, today, I was downloading a digital camera with some freight pictures on it - FOR WORK - and my computer crashed. I couldn't even log back into my machine. I had to call MIS, who took EVERYTHING OFF. I lost LimeWire, BitTorrent, BitComet, DivX, FireFox (and all my bookmarks) -- everything. As if that wasn't bad enough, I still can't log on to the network (I'm just signed in locally right now), so I have to send it back this week for a tune-up. And I know for a fact that the admin password I've been using is no longer valid on the computers that have been sent in in the last few months. So that means when I get it back, I won't be able to download anything ever again.

No more TV shows. No more Firefox. I more than likely won't even be able to upgrade my Messengers or iTunes when they come out with updates. Everything looks wrong, and all my preferences are gone, so it keeps saying things like "Do you want me to remember this password?" and "Look! I'm minimizing this application but not closing it!"

*sobs*

8 comments:

Shelly said...

After the recent passing of my own work computer, I mourn with you. Maybe you could butter up the tech people and offer them candy. That's what I did to our guy and he gave me the admin. privileges.

It's worth a shot, right?

The Bagboy said...

I feel for you, truly. That sucks major...cojones.

hello jamie: said...

There were real tears. Truly, I haven't been this upset since last May when my VCR crapped out on me while I was out of town and I lost all my season finales.

hello jamie: said...

addendum: does anyone know how to get rid of those stupid tabs on the left of your MSN buddy list? I remember that it took me forever to figure it out last time and now I can't remember. *slumps*

krysten said...

oh, Jamie. oh that is the worst. oh man.

(as an aside, that is my FAVORITE scene in Office Space! *snort*)

i have had to start from scratch several times, but never after having lost admin privs. suck-a-rama!!

any excuse you can think of (make up) to tell the tech peeps to get them to give you an admin password? like something you need to download for work...anyone you can bat your eyes at??

ugh. that is so lame. i feel for you.

hello jamie: said...

Unfortunatly, it's hard to bat my eyes (or give candy to) people who work out of the Boston office, which I haven't been to since I trained. *sigh*

I was told I would not have iTunes anymore, too. What a low blow. Well, I knew I was going to have to buy a new computer eventually, I just didn't think it would have to be so soon.

Honestly, I haven't mourned the loss of something like this in a really long time.

No dice on the MSN IM conundrum? Anyone? Bueller?

krysten said...

1) Go to Tools
2) Then Options
3) Click the Privacy tab
4) Then tick "This is a shared computer so don't display my Tabs" and press OK.
5) Press OK again to save the changes you made.
6) Sign out of and in to MSN Messenger again

hello jamie: said...

BRILLIANT!

It's not under "Privacy" on mine; it's under "Security" and I didn't have to log out, but it worked it worked it worked!! Thanks, you non-IM-er, you! :-)