Thursday, January 19, 2006

Looking at the world through rose-colored glasses...

As you all know, I'm a rather rosy-tinted person. OK, I guess we can go with ruddy. I have reddish hair, reddish skin, reddish freckles... if you look at my eyes in the sunlight, they are reddish brown. It takes me all of a minute and a half to get a sunburn. I never wear blush. So, imagine my utter surprise when my dermatologist diagnosed me with vascular rosacea.

Now, doctors don't know what causes rosacea, or have a cure for it, so fat load of good they are. What she did tell me was that common triggers include heat (hot beverage, hot shower), cold weather, dry air (central AC/heat), spicy food, alcohol, and emotional stress. I was like, "hi, have you been reading my diary?" I think I invented this disease. She just ran down my daily itinerary. Oh, and also, if it gets worse and spreads into my eyes, I could go blind.

So yeah, that's cool. Or, hot.

1 comment:

Brain Diva said...

I'm sorry, J. That's never something you want to hear. Bleech.

I hope your eyes stay healthy. Going blind was always one of my big fears as a kid because my myopia started at age 7, and progressed very rapidly. I used to ask my mom if I was going to need an eyeseeing dog. LOL