Monday, October 23, 2006

a word on magic

So, Bill and I went to see The Prestige yesterday. I was uber-excited about the movie, because the trailer has been intriguing me for months. I hadn't read a review (and still haven't- except for Jules's "it kept [her] guessing until the end"), so although I thought it was interesting and (mostly) well-made, I was a little disappointed. First of all, I found myself really having a hard time suspending my disbelief. It was odd, because usually I'm happy, nay, ecstatic to completely immerse myself in the land of fantasy- but I was distracted by a couple of scenes where I thought both actors had on too much make-up, I was distracted by Bale's accent- it was done very well, flawlessly, actually, but for some reason he just never owned it for me, and I was distracted by SERIOUSLY, I really like Scarlett Johansson, but I am so tired of seeing her play opposite men twice her age. It's ridiculous.

But beyond that, the movie did NOT keep me guessing until the end. In fact, I didn't really guess at all - or rather, I guessed correctly. But that's not what bothered me. My problem with the movie lies in this: both characters (and their careers) fully and unwaveringly operated on the principle that a magician should never reveal the prestige. Once you know how the trick is done, it ceases to be magical; in fact, it becomes foolish. The audience doesn't care about the man who falls down the trap door; they only care about the one they see come out the other side.

So, why, then did the movie feel necessary to explain to the viewer, step by step, exactly how the trick was done? It didn't leave ANYTHING to the imagination - it spelled out not only how the magic worked, but how the characters pulled off the illusion. It showed us, complete with flashbacks, and you know what? They were right. It ceased to be magical.


Ya wanna know where the magic is? HEROES. Ooh-boy, this show is mesmerizing. Despite the fact that Milo Vilamaglianawhatever was tragically miscast, the rest of these heroes are gripping and magical and I want to continue to watch them every week and I hope I never find out all their secrets. I love the comic book feel, right down to the opening titles, I love that they showed us "the end" in the first episode and now we're working up to that, I love Hiro and his infectious giddiness and I love The Cigarette-Smoking Man The Retro Glasses Man. I love its entire eclipse-y tone.

I got myself stuck in some Monday Night Football traffic coming home from Grapevine tonight, and I'm a little wound up. I don't know how you people make that kind of commute every day; I almost had a heart attack. I miss the train.

I hate working "at home" - I'm almost always in work mode in a hotel room and at home I do whatever I want - this trying to get out of my bed at 5am with shirt ironed, coffee brewed, and lunch packed just really doesn't work for me. My next month is extremely busy and I have a feeling the few days I will be home (Nov 4-9 and 16-20) I will be somewhat anti-social. But no worries, December is mine, all mine. You guys won't be able to get rid of me. And now it's the time to pour a glass of wine and watch tonight's Heroes... so I can go to bed and get up at 5am. *slump*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they'll get kicked out of The Alliance for that.

Kelly said...

Hee...The Alliance.

And I too am loving Heroes. I was kinda eh about it at first, but now I am hooked! I love Hiro, too.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it!!!!!!!!!

:-(

This makes me sad. It's so boring and the characters are so bland. I want to be in on the joke.

*harrumph*

Anonymous said...

Did you ever know that you're my Hiro?

Dannybrou said...

lets plan lunch. you will be home around my birthday = )

Anonymous said...

another great episode from heroes last night. maybe it's just me, but i get this feeling that niki might take her "mirror" friend and go to the dark side. the comic book feel of it is a neat way to tell the story. can't wait till next week.

Anonymous said...

I was iffy on Heroes, but last night I watched last week's and this week's episodes, and I am back on board for now.
I think the show could stand to fully embrace its comic book nature, and stop with the professor overdubs in the background trying to make it seem "plausible". I mean sure, I can fly, but I have wings that tuck under my shirt between my shoulder blades... I don't just levitate.
Also-- sweet comment, uncle al.

Charlie Roch said...

I mean, for seriously - Heroes is so good that I just want to flip out all the time.

*ALL* the time.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I tried it again. Still not getting it. And I'm a comic book geek too. But I'm finding it hard to care about any of these characters.

Now HERE'S a hero I care about: :-)

http://24trailer.com/

IS IS JANUARY YET?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anonymous said...

I like Heroes.

I liked the Prestige--kept me guessing until the end because I thought I'd guessed the twist, then changed my mind, then changed again, and again, but I was right the first time.