Tuesday, October 31, 2006

televisionmania

Something is wrong with me (yes, yes, insert your own joke here, Uncle Al). Healthwise, I mean. Aside from the occasional migraine, I'm a remarkably healthy individual. The last time I was sick was last Christmas. Before that is had been the previous St. Patrick's Day. So I am not used to just not feeling well. Anyway, I am crazy tired, and my neck is killing me... all the muscles hurt, like I slept on it wrong or something, but also it's tender and sensitive to the touch, like when your lymph nodes are swollen, but it's my entire neck. Also, I've had some sort of a non-migraine headache (maybe dehydration? or sinuses?) for days - which I very rarely get so I can't really diagnose it. I just feel really really OFF and I can't seem to shake it. Bleh.

OK, I've had many, many inquiries on exactly how many TV shows I watch. I've never counted them up because, frankly, it kind of makes me sound like a loser, but last night I realized that since I DVR everything, I had no idea what came on Monday nights, or at what time, or on which channel, which makes hotel tv-watching more difficult. (Plus, I had left my laptop at work so I couldn't look anything up and I abhor flipping channels.) So, I decided to put my schedule in my Palm so I would always have it with me. My own personal Nielsen statistics, as it were. The answer, my friends, is 13. (Like Nielsen, that's only network shows that are currently on, so the answer is really more, but don't quibble.) I actually don't think 13 is all that bad - it's technically less than 2 hours a day, which is far less than the average American household.

So, without further ado, I present to you Jamie's TV Schedule:

Sunday- Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
Monday- Heroes, Studio 60 (NBC), What About Brian (ABC)
Tuesday- Gilmore Girls (CW), House, Standoff (Fox)
Wednesday- Bones (Fox), Lost, The Nine (ABC)
Thursday- Grey's Anatomy, Six Degrees (ABC)
Friday- Men in Trees (ABC)

Sooo, that's (loosely) 54% ABC, 15% NBC, 23% Fox, and 8% CW. (And because it can't be said enough: shut up, Aerie Girls.)

OK, so, let's factor in the fact that 24 starts in January. That's 14. Let's factor in my current cable shows. That's Dexter, Dr. Who, and Battlestar Galactica. We're up to 17. Still less than the average American household (and ps> in 1950, the "average American" was a male in his 40's who owned his own home and shared it with a wife and 2 kids; in 2000, the "average American" was a female in her late 20's who rented her home with a roomate she was not in a relationship with... so, I'm fairly average). Cable shows that aren't currently being broadcast: The 4400, The Sopranos, Big Love, Weeds, & Eureka. That's 5 more but I'm not counting them because they're not on right now, and plus, some of them overlap through the summer, when nothing is on network TV, so, neener neener. I'm also not counting things I watch when I can, but don't record when I'm gone; namely, Pee Wee's Playhouse, The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report (when I'm still awake, 11pm-1am on Comedy Central), The Twilight Zone, and The Food Network.

Two hours down, 9 to go. My frustration level is rising in exponential increments with the wi-fi in this building. I'm being dropped, no lie, every 3-5 minutes, and now every time I enter my conference code it just takes me back to the previous screen. Grrrrr. I can't even save this! What do you do without the internet, you might ask? I'm about to do the USA Today crossword and Sudoku, and then make flashcards for my tests next week. I only got 200 and it turns out I have 312 previous test questions to memorize! *sobs*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your purse out of sight

hello jamie: said...

bite me Tom Miller!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, Jamie. (The list, I mean) If you asked me off the top of my head, I would think I'm in the forty hour mark. But then I remind myself that a few shows are required viewing for work, so they don't count. :-)

TV GEEKS RULE!!!!!!! AERIE GIRLS SUCK!!!!!

krysten said...

i probably spend half of every day watching disney and nick jr. *pats the acnielsen meter in her pocket* take THAT, ratings!

haha!

Anonymous said...

Well, now I just don't feel like inserting my joke about what is wrong with you. Come on, Jamie, if you preempt people's comments, this blog will wither and die. Jeez, Louise.

Kelly said...

That is nothing. I currently RECORD 23 different shows.

The Bagboy said...

I currently watch 20 hour long shows, 8 half hours shows, plus Adult Swim on Sundays (two hours). And like you, that's not counting stuff that's in hiatus right now. That adds at least two more hour shows.

I would be ashamed of myself, if TV weren't so awesome.

Bee said...

Thanks to the beauty of Netflix, I have given up TV. (except America's Next Top Model! Best guilty pleasure ever.) I just wait until the season DVD's come out and watch the whole thing in one weekend. I am patiently awaiting Weeds S2. =D

Did I hear that Studio 60 got cancelled?!?!?!? That was quicker than Sports Night! = 0

hello jamie: said...

I heard that was a rumor!!

I hope it is. I love that show.

krysten said...

BEE!!!!! i LOVE ANTM!! i thought i was the only one!!!!