Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The best show you're not watching...

...is What About Brian. Seriously.

I'm about to rant about my medical insurance, so skip this paragraph if reading about the pill makes you uncomfortable. So, I've been taking the same pill for years. Each lady and her lady system are different, and everyone reacts differently to different pills. After I found the one that worked for me, I stuck with it, until a couple of years ago, when my pill went generic. Turns out, the generic formula slaps me with a big ole migraine, the day before my period, every single month. My doctor wrote me a "letter of medical necessity" and I went back to the brand name. No problems. When I was out of work last year and had no health insurance, I got my pill from Planned Parenthood. Turns out they actually distribute my preferred brand, so again, no problem. However, my new insurance does not cover the brand name. Not even with my handy little letter of medical necessity. I've talked to them every month since February (when my PP supply ran out) and been told about as many different stories as months I've been calling, and nothing ever changes, including the migraine. So I went to get my migraine medicine filled today, and even though it comes in a handy dandy prefilled 10-dose pack, my insurance would only pay for 9. The hell? Seems like they should give me at least one a month for free, since today's migraine is courtesy of THEM. I've spent most of today lying in a dark room with an ice pack on my face, silently cursing the system.

This post was brought to you by the letter "M" and the middle finger.

9 comments:

krysten said...

oh. i HATE the medical system. that does not surprise me at all. the first ectopic pregnancy i had the "system" deemed an abortion bc i had chemo injections to keep it from killing me. i can't TELL you the run around i had trying to convince them otherwise. Does "molar pregnancy" mean nothing to those people?!?!?

i'm sorry this is adding yet another fun facet to good ol' Aunt Flow. like she needs any more pleasantries right? you can't go back to PP and just keep getting it from them? would maybe a patch work for you? do you know of any that have the same chemical makeup as the pill you use?

i love your "sponsor" line, hahahaha!

ps - i have NOT had an abortion...in case anyone was wondering. and even the "system" admits that now. hmph!

Anonymous said...

i would like to third the motion that the medical insurance system is messed up, although i have no stories of how they have wronged me ....yet.

i did catch and was entertained by the show "what about brian" this week. i must say that brian has lost any and all rights to say he is adam's friend, much less best friend. now this was the first time i have seen the show, so i may not know some of the back history. however, you do not let any feelings you might have for marjorie become apparent through words or actions. that is just not right. he should have only proceeded if they had broken up, and even then you would have to give it some time.

hello jamie: said...

I don't disagree with that, MWB- and I'm not sure you would feel any differently had you seen the 5 episodes from last season-- except perhaps be even more sure that Marjorie and Adam shouldn't be getting married in the first place. She is just as to blame as Brian - maybe more.

Last season was less centered around this particular issue - each character had his or her own plotline (Nicole and Angelo trying to get pregnant - um, where is Angelo now? and Deena and Dave's "open marriage" and Brian dated a couple of girls) and I actually preferred the ensemble as opposed to the way it's being presented to us now, but I assume they'll get back to the others eventually - this Brian & Marjorie thing can't last forever without drastically altering the character make-up and chemistry of the show.

You should download the other episodes - they are worth watching.

Dannybrou said...

I just wanted to mention that majorie is at the top of my list...

iamchanelle said...

brings a whole new meaning to sesame street's letter of the day for me...haha!

so sorry you have to deal with monster headaches - feel better soon. :)

Anonymous said...

marjorie might get the most blame as she is the only one that holds the power to stop everything. adam just wants to be with her. brian just wants to be with her. marjorie wants to be with both of them. i agree, they can't have brian get into anything, because the name of the show suggests that brian is always the odd one out.

i've seen you mention before about downloading television episodes. where exactly would one go to do this?

hello jamie: said...

Well.

You can sometimes buy them off iTunes, but What About Brian is not available; I just checked.

There are other ways that I will not detail right here in plain "site" as they could be construed as illegal, but if you want to drop me an e-mail I can let you know how, you know, other people do it. I would never do that. *weg*

Kelly said...

I love how insurance picks and chooses what to cover. An 83 year old man wants to get laid? Covered. A 28 year old would like to not be pregnant? Sorry, stop being slutty. Grrr.

hello jamie: said...

Yo, I'm THIRTY.