Friday, September 22, 2006

Thursday night.... *whew!*

Seriously, this week has been a beating. How many of you are tired of reading TV write-ups? I actually have done other things this week. I had lunch with Danael, I bought a good luck bamboo plant, and last night, Erin, Deron, Bill, & I went to eat Food from Galilee. It was fan-frakkin'-tastic. Deron and Bill had not really eaten a lot of Middle Eastern food before so we got a big sampler platter of hummus, baba ghanoush, labneh, tzaziki, dolmos, and those things I can never remember the name of. We also got a chicken kabob, a kafta, and a gyro. AND baklava. Holy tight waistband, Batman! It was sooooo good. Plus, we talked to the owner for a while, who is from little town about 30 miles from Nazareth and simply a delight. Then I came home to the season 3 premiere of Grey's and series premiere of Six Degrees.

Grey's- well, again, ad nauseum, shut up, Meredith. Shut up, McDreamy. But, bygones; I love the rest of 'em. It was a pretty good episode. It was a great Addison episode, and that little snip of Cristina at the end made me well up.

Six Degrees- First of all, it's set in New York, so I automatically can't take my eyes off of it. I always like to try and figure out where they are. For example, at the very beginning, Bridget Moynahan's character is jogging and she passes that bar that has the red neon sign that just says "BAR" on the lower half of the sign?? I know I've passed that a hundred times... where is it? Lower west side, I think? Tom, help me out? Ohhhh, it makes me miss the city. *sniff* Oh, and I also love it because it's J.J. Abrams. Anyway, it's about the theory that everyone in the world can be connected with six people. And how no one is ever really alone. Yeah, OK. Anyway, there's Erika Christensen, who plays Mae/Claire, a girl on the run. We don't know what she did yet. She's J.J.'s new Kate, I guess. Whatever. She was my least favorite (character and actor). Then there's Hope Davis, who I adore. She plays Laura, a recently widowed mother who hires Mae (whom she knows as Claire) as a nanny for her young daughter. She meets Whitney in a nail salon, played by Bridget Moynahan, who is a PR executive with a cheating fiancee. Then there's Carlos, the cop (DA?) who got Mae off her indecent exposure charge and proceeded to stalk her because "she's the coolest girl on the planet." And there's Damien, a towncar driver with a gambling problem and a troublesome brother. Damien and Carlos got in a fight together and bonded. And Campbell Scott is a divorced ex-junkie photographer named Steven who has an estranged son and a possible job taking photos for Whitney's PR firm. Oh, and one of his pictures is of Laura. Like a lot of new shows this season, I wonder how long this road can twist? Anyway, I mostly liked it and am interested to see what happens.

Next week we'll have Heroes, the Nine, and Brothers & Sisters, 30 Rock, and Ugly Betty (all new), plus premieres of Gilmore Girls, What About Brian, and LOST. Thank God 24 and The Sopranoes/Big Love don't come out until the spring. I can't keep up with my schoolwork like this. *weg*

Gotta go. I have a flight in a few hours (and 5 pair of pants at the tailor, so I can't finish packing until I pick them up). Seattle, here I come!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lost doesn't start until Oct 4th. . .

Anonymous said...

If "Food from Galilee" was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

You had me at hummus...you had me at hummus.

Anonymous said...

Six Degrees got PANNED by the critics, but I have to say, Jamie... I loved it! Sure, it's a little unrealistic. But the twists and turns were decent enough for a pilot, and I'll come back for the second one.

As for Grey's... I second everything you said. But don't you think Miranda's subplot (and her emotional reaction) was a little... I don't know... out of left field? The rest was amazing, and Katherine Heigl, as always, remains the heart of that show. And what was with only seeing Preston for one scene?

We will discuss more when we both return...