Tuesday, September 12, 2006

those friendly skies

I've had a lot of time off this summer, and now as I head into our fall season, I was reminded this morning about how much I love airports. (Technically, I love train stations more but that's another post for another time and anyway, I live in Dallas now, so don't get as much train station face time as when I lived in NY.) There was a wreck on the highway this morning where Woodall Rogers feeds onto 35, and I was so late I had to park at the gate and I got my bag checked with about 3 minutes to spare. That gave me exactly 10 minutes to get through security and still have time to stare at the arrivals/departures board, which is my favorite thing to do. (Again, not quite as awesome as the flip-down letters at Grand Central or Penn Station, but, hey, it's the Texan's next best thing.)

Just looking at those hundreds of choices, thinking about how in just a few hours I could be in anywhere, watching people prepare for vacations or homecomings, all the buzz and the hurrying... I think airports are one of the most exciting places to be.

The trip to the airport was hardly the greatest of my travel woes on this trip, but I am finally here and can finally unclench. I don't have to work until tomorrow morning, so I'm planning on spending the afternoon studying, and drinking about 3 liters of water. I love the desert, but geez Louise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed you in vegas by a week! Behave yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Jamie. And I need some of this "airports are the thrill of a lifetime" vibe to start rubbing off on me. STAT.