Sunday, September 10, 2006

my new tv boyfriend

This week I'm completely obsessed with Bones. I didn't watch it last year (being a gypsy left my television watching to the bare minimum) but there was a great article about Season 2 in the EW fall tv preview issue, and it had always sounded like something I would like, so I downloaded the first season (and am TiFauxing the 2nd until I catch up). It's sort of X-Files and sort of CSI and sort of ... Moonlighting. I guess. Anyway, it's about a forensic anthropologist whose team analyzes human remains to help the FBI solve crimes. The main criticism I've heard about it is that it's formulaic, and it is, but I like the formula, so it works for me. Not every show has to continually reinvent itself to make me happy. The Monster-of-the-Week episodes were always my favorite X-Files. Since I'm in A&P now, I actually know what she means when she says "distal philanges." Ha! However, on the show they lay the bones out with palms posterior (hands straight down if the skeleton was standing) and I assumed that they should lay it in official anatomical position (palms facing up) because then "distal philanges" means something different. But I digress.

The leads are Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. I think Deschanel is adorable and her highly intellectual yet socially naive Dr. Temperance Brennan is simultaneously admirable and loveable. I never watched Buffy or Angel so I didn't have any predetermined notions about Boreanaz but I think he plays the part of Special Agent Seely Booth very well: soldier-come-agent with a strong sense of civic duty and a playful nature. The best friend/co-worker is played by Michaela Conlin, who I remember from the shortlived MDs, and a few other things, and I like her a lot. The assistant Zack is brilliant, awkward, and cute as a button. And my new tv boyfriend is TJ Tynes, who plays Dr. Jack Hodgins, the prickly, curly haired, scientist/conspiracy theorist. He's smart and dry and sarcastic and has this awesome beard... wow, on paper he sounds incredibly relative to my past tv boyfriend Toby Ziegler... but that's a whole 'nother therapy session. He's a well-known "hey, it's that guy," been on a hundred things, and I read once that he went to high school in Plano, so I always recognize him, but now that I've seen him sink into a character I have entered full-time crush. I mentioned it to Tom who's all "oh yeah, I know him; we grew up together; he's on myspace." WHA? I bribed him with homemade ziti to get him to promise to come up with some scenario to introduce me to him, so I can charm him into falling in love with me. Seems easy enough, since I live in Texas and Tom lives in NYC and Tynes, I'm assuming, lives in LA... 'cause you know, that's why we'll never be together: geography.

In other news, Ree-Ann turned 30, I went to church this morning for the first time in months, my first A&P test is next week, and I leave for Vegas tomorrow. Happy Monday!

11 comments:

Bee said...

What is great about Bones is that it is inspired by real life forensics agent (and novelist) Kathy Reichs' career. I think this show fills the X-Files void perfectly. : )

Shelly said...

I couldn't even get through the whole post because as soon as I read "distal philanges" I thought immediately of Phoebe's alter ego, Regina Phalange.

Hardy har har.

Anonymous said...

It's Thyne, not Tynes. Get your crushes right. :-)

And for the record, I just want to defend myself (being the one who referred to the show as "formulaic" but thanks for not pointing fingers, Jamie...). I really do like "Bones". I was a HUGE Angel freak (still am), so I loved Boreanaz on that. And I do enjoy Bones. But being the serialist that I am, I appreciate a long-story much more than a MOTW show. But that doesn't mean I don't love me some MOTW shows. And Bones is definitely up there with the best.

So take THAT... people who never said anything to raise my defenses in the first place and oh, I think I'll just end this comment now before I make too much of an ass out of myself.

hello jamie: said...

HELLO, egotastic, you aren't the only one who said it was formulaic. I don't talk about you ALL the time. *wink*

oh, and you can leave out how I mispelled his name when you e-mail him and tell him how awesome and amazing I am.

Anonymous said...

Solipsistic. Me to a tee. *wink*

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention the fabulous time you had at the dallas aquarium with your awesome cousin...or is that going to be an entire post in and of itself?

hello jamie: said...

hey you guys, also, I went to the dallas aquarium with my awesome cousin and we had a fabulous time!!!!

Anonymous said...

now I'm happy

Gina said...

I started watching Bones when it first came out, and while it's ok, I think they put me off because imo they *were* trying to be such a Mulder and Scully rip off. It pissed me off. Just sayin'.

hello jamie: said...

True that he's an agent and she's a scientist, G, but I really think that's where the similarities end. The male-female not-in-a-relationship-but-full-of-sexual-tension relationship has been around a lot longer than The X-Files. Neither Scully nor Mulder shared Booth's affable boy-next-door qualities, or his affection and complete devotion to the US government. Neither were either of them an example of Dr. Bones' complete inability to play the system, as she's blissfully unaware that a system even exists. She's incapable of seeing past the facts.

But, I digress. I really only watch to fawn over Dr. Hodgins.

hello jamie: said...

I need to add a disclaimer that no show will ever quite take the place of The X-Files in my heart (although BSG is on its way *ducks*) and I am under no circumstances saying that I think Bones is better. I am saying that it is DIFFERENT and that I like it.

*bow*