Sunday, September 17, 2006

science on the brain

I am in full-on study mode this weekend as I prepare for my first A&P test. I ordered Chinese and everything. There might even be a pot of coffee and an all-nighter tonight. The test is over homeostasis and the chemical level of organization, and I gotta say, I can't wait to get to actual bones and muscles. There is a whole lot of crap inside a cell for something 1/100,000th the size of the period at the end of this sentence. I finished my Chapter 3 Exam last night and then watched the three shows on my TiFaux from the week: House, Bones, and Eureka~ and it hit me. I am not only science fiction nerd, I am a science nerd. When did that happen? Have the rest of you known this all along?

Now, last time I went to college, the internet was just a baby. I don't think I even had an e-mail address until I was a junior. So one might think that I might be a little old school (no pun intended) about books and highlighters and flashcards. But no. I'm embracing the melding of technology and classroom with great fervor. Apparently most textbooks have companion websites with them now. In addition to just reading the chapter in my book, I can get online and take practice quizzes, play interactive games, look at histology slides, and all kinds of other things. I can even take a learning style survey in order to pick the activities that will help me the most. It also has links to essays and other website involving the material. It's frakkin' awesome.

Speaking of "frakkin'"- Apparently the season 3 premiere of Veronica Mars introduces the lead character to the Battlestar Galactica-derived expletive and it will become one of her most oft-used exclamations. Lorelai Gilmore used it last season on Gilmore Girls, which is no surprise as the Palladinos (and their fictional Gilmores) are know for being pop culture mavens. Trey Parker and Matt Stone expressed their undying love for BSG at the Peabody Awards last month. I think the world is finally discovering the best show on television!

Aaand, speaking of television, I'm starting to wish my birthday was in September. The lastest seasons of Gilmore Girls, Battlestar Galactica, Grey's Anatomy, and LOST have all just come out and I am dying for them!

Back to the books~ I have a date with the last day of the WB in a few hours.

6 comments:

krysten said...

is 13 down "protein"?

haha!

hello jamie: said...

lol- yes! The crossword puzzles are crazy-easy, but I love crosswords so I always do them!

Shelly said...

I bought Grey's on Friday and I'm already on disk four. I can't get enough of that show! Can't wait 'til Thursday!

See you Friday! Or...Saturday!

krysten said...

i love word puzzles. :) probably pretty obvious by the fact that i got that one without any description...although a glance at the other filled in words was enough.

i am also a science nerd. little known fact, actually. i'm also a logic nerd. i attribute it to all the TAG classes i took that got me out of regular class and put me in a room where i got to do brain teasers and drink Tab all day. Tab out of a glass bottle, natch.

Anonymous said...

what is the expletive and when did Lorelai use it?

Anonymous said...

It's the episode when Lane gets married. Michel bails on Lorelai as her wedding date (Mrs. Kim ordered her to show up with a man so she wouldn't look like a hooker). He ends up going to a Celine Dion concert instead. Before Lorelai thinks to ask Christoper to be her date, she goes on a rant about how Michel screwed her, and exclaims "Frakkin' Celine Dion!!"

Wow. I am so gay.