Thursday, September 14, 2006

the first step is admitting you have a problem.

OK, I started Battlestar Galactica again last night, from the beginning. I want to have it all fresh in my mind when the third season starts next month. Holy crap, watching the miniseries again, knowing what I know now is just... crazy. I barely got an hour into it last night, but Six and the baby, Apollo's fight with Adama, Starbuck punching out Tigh, Boomer and the Chief, even Roslin and Adama's first meeting... knowing how far each of their characters arc in the short time we've know them makes watching the beginning just insane. It made me remember how much I disliked, nay, loathed Kara at first. I would have never in a million years thought I would ever be able to tolerate her, much less that she would turn into one of my favorite television characters of all time. Knowing her history and the woman she will become puts a completely different spin on her attitude.

I had forgotten that at the very beginning of the show, no one had seen or heard from the Cylons in over 40 years. That means that practically every main character on the show (save Adama, Tigh, and Roslin, and they couldn't have been more than 10 or 15 at last Cylon encounter) had never known their country at war. They had never seen a Cylon. They had probably never honestly entertained the notion that they would. Little Callie joined the military to pay for dental school, for Pete's sake. They had only ever known their worlds to be comfortable, advanced societies. The mere fact that they're all aboard the Galactica to decommission it just reiterates how little they were expecting any sort of contact from their enemy, much less an invasion and probable complete demolition of humanity.

Also, they said that there were originally 12 Battlestars, one for each of the colonies. Galactica was Caprica's and I think if I remember correctly that The Pegasus belonged to Scorpia. What happened to the other 10? Did they ever say that they were all destroyed in the attack or is it a possibility that we might find another one?

Also, how many of the 12 Cylon models have we met now, 7? There's Number 6 (Gina), Number 8 (Boomer), Number 3 (Xena, er, Biers), Doral, the priest, who I think was Number 7 (and Dean Stockwell from Quantum Leap, which was frakkin' awesome), Leoben, and Simon (the doctor that supposedly took Kara's ova on Caprica). I'm thinking that maybe one of the remaining models will be a child (not the cybrid, but a school-age child) and I definitely think there's another in our midst, so to speak.

It's coming on right before Dr. Who this season. I think I might never go out on a Friday night ever again.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am still on Disc 2 so your first paragraph totally confused me.

But yes I am loving it. :)

Anonymous said...

And isn't it crazy how well-lit everything is in the first few episodes? Watching these people actually SMILE? SHOW TEETH?(Not counting the times they bare their fangs)

One of the greatest shows on television. When I think about how far they've come in two seasons... without it EVER seeming contrived, forced or rushed... as a writer, I am in awe. And so envious of the talent involved in this show.

I'll be joining you on the couch on Friday nights, Jamie... via IM, natch.