Friday, March 17, 2006

Top o' the mahrin to yeh

OK, since I slept in today, so I'll be following in the footsteps of my fellow bloggers with a St. Patrick's Day post.

Side note: Ev, remember when I acidentally said "Wild Hahrses" and we had to speak in an Irish accent for the rest of the day? Good times.

It has long been recounted that, during his mission in Ireland, St. Patrick once stood on a hilltop (which is now called Croagh Patrick), and with only a wooden staff by his side, banished all the snakes from Ireland. Some say the "banishing of the snakes" was really a metaphor for the eradication of pagan ideology from Ireland and the triumph of Christianity. Within two hundred years of Patrick's arrival, Ireland was completely Christianized. However, there are no snakes on the island of Ireland, and never have been.

I missed the parade, but I think the river is still dyed green, so I'll go see that today... and of course eventually have Shepard's Pie or a Welsch Rarebit, maybe just some good ole fish & chips, and a Jameson's at a tavern of choice. Krys, are you making soda bread? Mmmmmm.

Wishing I was at the Trin with O'Scottie, Ree-an, and Co. Slainte from Chicago!! ~J.

4 comments:

krysten said...

no, i bought some soda bread.

*ashamed*

but i'm making corned beef! and cabbage! and irish coffee! and i bought some of Guinesses's'es' (whatever) Smithwick's ale!

*justified*

Kelly said...

Going to be havin me some corned beef and cabbage! This 1/4 Irish girl, with red hair, wishes you a Happy St. Patricks Day! Check out the Irish quizes on my blog to see how much you know about the Irish and Ireland.

abc said...

Cool! I didn't know about the snake free status of Ireland or the folklore that went with it. Is Sheppards Pie an Irish dish? I didn't know that. And Corned Beef too?
http://blueskies57.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

actually, this year o'scottie and ree-an celebrated at the tip, and our only co. was charlie. however, we had a wonderful time chatting and dominating the irish buffet. how americanized can a holiday get - you still have the foods of the country, you just get as much of them as you can eat. self control be damned!