Monday, March 20, 2006

Late Night Re-runs... and a contest!!

... are the best kind of re-runs.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep, and though I rarely watch TV in bed, decided to flip it on. What's better than snuggling down in a king-size bed with a down comforter and 5 pillows? (All that and a someone else, I s'pose?)

Anyway, I watched a season 2 episode of Alias (on FOX, which actually confused me- why does FOX have syndication rights to Alias, which is still running on ABC?) -- back when there was still a mission every week where Sydney got to dress up in a fun costume and Marshall flash-backs explaining her gadgets peppered the episode. Also? Will! Francie!! Irina! And honest-to-God Sydney-Vaughn chemistry! Wow... remember that? Good times.

Then I watched one of the most classic of Friends episodes, The One Where Ross Got High, or, as I refer to it, The One with the English Trifle. I almost never laugh at the TV when I'm alone, but I let out a giggle to an oft-overlooked line from Joey, when Ross first discovered there was meat in the trifle, and Joey was all "There's only one layer of jam? What's that about?" I burst into full-on guffaws from the moment Joey said "that banana-meat thing" and by the time I got to "it tastes like feet!" tears were literally streaming down my face. "What's not to like? Custard? Gooood. Jam? Goooood. Meat? Goo-oooood." Oh holy crap, I'm laughing even now just thinking about it.

So, this brings me to our No Day but Today Best of Friends Contest.

Krysten has never seen Friends. I know, what? I'd like to help her out without overwhelming her with 10 6-disc DVD sets, haha! I thought a capital idea would be to choose the 10 funniest episodes and record them from my DVDs onto a VCR tape, and then she have 5 hours of unmitigated The-Best-Of Friends. So, I need your help in picking the 10 Best Friends Episodes of All Time. My top 2, which will definitely be included on the list are The One Where They Lose the Apartment and The One Where Everyone is Late. And possibly the "but they don't know we know they know we know" episode.

So, write in, phone in, text message in... Get me your suggestions and I will compile the list.

And a copy of the list, in case anything happens to the first list.

16 comments:

Kelly said...

The One Where it Could Have Been
I love Phoebe's song - 'It only takes two heart attacks to finally make you see - one of them won't do it but the other will set you free. Tell all your hate and anger that it's time to say goodbye, and that is just what I will do, as soon as those bastards I worked for DIE!

The One With The Prom Video
Most of my favorite episodes involve the Ross/Rachel relationship in some way. I've always thought that should happen.

Thanksgiving
I love all of the thanksgiving episodes, but particularly the one where you find out why Chandler hates Thanksgiving. I also like how you find out why Monica looses the weight.

Dannybrou said...

okay. My ALL TIME FAVORITE is the one where Phoebe finds a thumb in her can coke and the same one where Phoebe's bank accidently puts extra money in her acct. Phoebe: I can't spend it because it will be like stealing.
Rachel: Yes you can because it will be like shopping.
Phoebe: okay... so lets say I go out and buy a pair of shoes. every step I take I will hear 'not mine, not mine' And say...I get really happy and I start skipping. Every step I hear will be 'not not mine, not not mine'.

I am cracking up just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

Do you think you'd need story or character development for any of these?
Maybe you send her the first couple of episodes, and then some favorites.
Cheers

krysten said...

lol.

this should be fun...

Shelly said...

My absolute fave is "The one with the Embryos" - when they play the game and lose the apartment.

Ross: Every week, the TV Guide comes to Chandler and Joey's apartment. What name appears on the address label?
Rachel: Oh! Chandler gets it! It's Chandler Bing!
Monica: No!
Ross: I'm afraid the TV Guide comes to "Chanandelor Bong."
Monica: I knew that! Rachel! Use your head!
Chandler: Actually, it's Miss Chanandelor Bong.

Ross: What was Monica's nickname when she was a field-hockey goalie?
Joey: Big fat goalie!
Ross: Correct. Rachel claims this is her favorite movie.
Chandler: Dangerous Liaisons.
Ross: Correct. Her actual favorite movie is?
Joey: Weekend at Bernie's.

hello jamie: said...

Yes! That's my #1 favorite of all time!!

I also like the one where they get the apartment BACK.

And the one where Chandler's in the tub.

krysten said...

hahahahaha!! i'm laughing already, and i'm only reading it....man! how did i miss ten years of this show???

actually it's MISS Chanandelor Bong.

LOL!

abc said...

Oh oh there is one where Phoebe is on hold for like 3 days...that one was funny. I'm trying to think of others but I can't pin point funny ones - I just love them. But you are right, its a show where you do laugh out loud even when alone for some episodes. Your friend is very lucky - I'd love a copy of your 'Best of Funny Friends too!' I have some of the DVD's, but just in bits and peices. The nice thing is that no matter what season it is, they are all funny!

iamchanelle said...

hey! you just MADE my day! :)

yes, i do take all my own pics (unless it happens to be the bust of caesar, then i leave it to the professionals...)with my little Kodak Easy Share CX7330.

i am glad you like my fork pic! thanks! :)

oh, and the episode where rachel and monica fought all day and phoebe finally broke it up by holding each of them up by their ears and making them apologize...and then she says
"if we were in prison, you both would be my b*tches"

aaahh, i love phoebe.

hello jamie: said...

"I made a man with eyes of coal and a smile, so bewitchin'... how was I supposed to know that my mom was dead in the kitchen?" Oh, Pheebs.

I love all the Thanksgiving ones too!! Every year I think we should a Thanksgiving marathon and every year I forget. Maybe 2006!!

I'm watching the Hank Azaria one right now. When Chandler tells Ross he'll look in on his pet monkey while he works late? And Ross says "That'd be great! Just make sure it looks like you're there to see him, and not just doing it as a favor to me." Chandler: "OK, but if he asks, I'm not going to lie."

Anonymous said...

The Thanksgiving where they all play football! It's the only episode of Friends I ever remember as I didn't really watch it.

Gina said...

*sniff* I haven't seen half these because I worked Thursdays. Maybe you should make me the tape too. Oh, but shit I don't have a VCR anymore.

I am so jealous of your king size bed and pillows. I am so sleepy right now too...

Bee said...

The Hanukkah armadillo!

"My favorite part was when Superman flew all the Jews out of Egypt"

Hee!

Brain Diva said...

Oh dude! I was made for this post. ;) I'm rewatching all the series right now (I'm up to season 5 at this point). My top 10 (in no particular order, just as I am remebering them!)

1. TOW Chandler in a Box. It has THE best burn of the whole series... "Fine! Judge all you want, but married a lesbian, left a man at the altar, fell in love with a gay ice dancer, threw a girl's wooden leg in the fire, live in a box!" Plus, it has Richard's son. It's like inviting a Greek tragedy for dinner. ;)

2. TOW Everybody Finds Out. I agree, J. That is such a wonderful episode. I love the Phoebe/Chandler showdown, and Phoebe's "My eyes! My eyes" is priceless.

3. TOW The Embryos. I love the quiz, and all the betting going on.

"Monica: I'm just trying to spice it up.
Rachel: Then play for some peppers. Stop spending my money."

4. TOW The Prom Video and 5. TOW Ross and Rachel... You Know.
Those 2 episodes give a lot of background about the series (Ross/Rachel, Monica/Richard, fat Monica, Ross & his music (!)) plus I just plain love that video. Ross with that mustache! "Looking good, Mr. Kotter."

6. TOW No One's Ready: I agree it is another good one.

7. TOW The Holiday Armadillo: I love that one too, Bee! "Wow! It looks like the Easter Bunny's funeral in here."

8. TOW The Video Tape: I'm not a big fan of S8 but that one episode is good. I like that one because of Joey and his Ken Adams persona and the magic sex story. Alternatively, in S8, TOW The Rumor (aka The Thanksgiving episode with Brad Pitt) is pretty good. I love the "I Hate Rachel" club, and the rumour that Rachel was a hermaphrodite.

9. TOW All The Poker. I like when the gang gets all competitive.

10. TOW The Proposal: I love the proposal scene. Monica and Chandler are so cute.

hello jamie: said...

I TOTALLY forgot the one where Chandler is in a box!! Priceless!!!!

Anonymous said...

ROSS: Don't you worry about me falling asleep at night! I STILL HAVE YOUR LETTER!!!!!

It was 5 AM, and you had RAMBLED ON for eighteen pages... FRONT AND BACK!!!