Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The stars at night...

It's like a wasteland in here. I swear I just saw a tumbleweed blow by. Where's everyone??

I'm going to be MIA for a few days. I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow, but the good news is that I will be in Texas by lunchtime. Can you Yanks say barbecue? Incidentally, when I lived up north, I always thought it was funny that Yankees call "grilling out" a barbecue. "Hey, come over, we're barbecue-ing!" "Cool, what are we having?" "Hamburgers!" Wha? I'm having REAL barbecue tomorrow. None of that damn pulled pork either. Brisket on a white bun with pickles and onions. And potato chips. *mouth watering*

Anyway, I don't think I have a dial-up number for Nacogdoches, the oldest town in Texas. Sooo, I may be offline until Sunday. That's crazy-talk, no? Call my cell phone if you need me; it works in the NW corner of the single-wide. I'll be in Houston Christmas Day, back to civilization and wi-fi and blog, sweet blog.

Merry Christmas!! XOXOX

4 comments:

Shelly said...

I guess I'm a Yankee. BBQ-ing is all about the hamburgers and the occasional bratwurst where I come from.

And, I don't even know what brisket is.

hello jamie: said...

WHA!?? Brisket is slow cooked beef... and the sauce is all smoky and tomato-based. In Dixieland, they make, like, VINEGAR-based sauce.

Texas is really the only place to get authentic barbecue. Someone back me up here.

I had to link to Dickey's instead of Bodacious because Bodacious doesn't have a website. BWAH! Of course they don't. But today, I dine at Mike's, where Mike knows my name, and when we go there after church on Sundays and don't have enough cash, he just says "eh, you'll get me next time."

WOOOO! I'm awfully excited for it to be so freaking early. I still haven't really slept though, so it's probably delirium.

Dannybrou said...

I have to back jamie on this one. Barbecue in Texas is the best. Bodacious is AMAZING. To bad dallas doesn't have any of those. Dickies is okay, but I would much rather sonny bryan's.

And don't forget the tex-mex = )

krysten said...

alright, alright...hold on a cotton-pickin' second!!

It isn't just the "Yanks" (watch it!) who call it "BBQing"...out here in AZ they do that too! AND, until ONLY recently when my husband got his smoker, we called it that too...and i lived in Baton Rouge for almost 20 years!

so lay off the Yanks, eh? haha!

oh yes, and what's wrong with pulled pork?!?!

sheesh. i'm gonna have to go throw myself off a bridge...

i'll redeem myself by saying that my husband happens to make great Barbecue (in the "true" sense of the word), and i just had a bbq brisket sandwich for lunch. so there! ;-)