Wednesday, December 28, 2005

No day but today.

Some of you may be expecting my New Year's Resolutions soon. I know I usually share them, but I think I'm going to try and swing it solo this year. I'm not usually a very private person, and I think maybe that has put me in some tricky situations. I definitely have things to work on, but I'll be doing that nonpublic this time around.

The one I will share with you, which anyone who knows me well knows is always a goal of mine, is the reason I so titled my new blog: No day but today. If you're unfamiliar with the play (and now major motion picture) Rent, it's from the lyrics of one of my favorite songs:

There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today.

The Latin way to say this theme is "carpe diem." The Psalms say "as for man, his days are grass" (103:15). The colloquial proverb is to "make lemonade." It's a universal sentiment, but however you want to word it, the gist is that life is short. Don't waste time being unhappy. Even when things don't go your way, it's nobody's fault but your own if you don't make the best of the situation. Every single minute is another chance to turn it all around. Dwelling on why I'm lonely or my less-than-perfect relationship with my mother or the fact that my career is not where I thought it would be at 29 is not really hurting anyone but me. I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining. I have the responsibility to change my life, my attitude, and perhaps, the world.

So, there you have it. My constant resolution.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am usually a sideline reader of your blog, content in reading anonymously, but i must tell you, stuff like what you just wrote is amazing to read and hits between the eyes. you are an awesome person and i just wanted to tell ya!

hello jamie: said...

awwww... *blush*

krysten said...

here, here! I second that!

;-)

hello jamie: said...

you guys are going to give me a false sense of superiority. ;-)

Thanks K.