Saturday, December 17, 2005

'cause we need a little Christmas...


I was walking through the airport this morning and they were, of course, playing cheesy Christmas music. People are starting to visit for the holidays... and everyone at the airport was so excited and greeting each other with joy and glee. I was, as usual, all by myself, and Nancy Wilson's "Christmas Waltz" was playing as I walked by the ugliest Christmas tree I'd ever seen- all big purple bows, ick, and a big fat tear rolled down my cheek, because I realized that I'm not really looking forward to the holidays at all. It's so very unlike me that I can't even tell you why, but I just haven't had time to get into it this year, with no parties, no shopping, no decorating. Can you believe that Jamie Hostess-with-the-Mostest has no holiday parties??

So tonight I came back to Ohio, and there's snow everywhere, and my mom's house is all decorated... and I sat down to wrap all my presents and drink some wassail and listen to my "All Christmas all the Time" playlist... and ever so slightly, it's creeping in.

The picture above is my tree last year. I love ornaments, and collect at least one each year that means something to me. I can tell you where and when I got every single ornament on my tree, and why it's important to me. If you can tell, there's a Guatamalan friendship bird, which is made from the scraps of leftover sewing fabric (South American gift shop, Philadelphia, 2003), the Chrysler building, my favorite building in New York (NYC, 2004), Harry Potter and the Mirror of Erised (my mom, 2001), and a ceramic Snoopy bell (my grandparents, the early 80s). I am certainly missing it right now... I love to look at it and mull over all the memories wrapped up that tree.

Following are lyrics to "We Need a Little Christmas" - from Mame. Sums up about how I feel this year. Looking forward to seeing all of you really soon... Texas may not be my home at the moment, but it's where my heart is, and undoubtedly where I'll find the rest of my Christmas spirit.

Haul out the holly;
Put up the tree before my spirit falls again.
Fill up the stocking,
I may be rushing things, but deck the halls again now.
For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute,
Candles in the window,
Carols at the spinet.
Yes, we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute.
It hasn't snowed a single flurry,
But Santa, dear, we're in a hurry;
So climb down the chimney;
Put up the brightest string of lights I've ever seen.
Slice up the fruitcake;
It's time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough.
For I've grown a little leaner,
Grown a little colder,
Grown a little sadder,
Grown a little older,
And I need a little angel
Sitting on my shoulder,
Need a little Christmas now!!

In other news, I came home to my Christmas present to myself, the 5th season of The West Wing on DVD. Guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the week?

4 comments:

Gina said...

Now I want to send you an ornament. Oh to get those DVD's as we mourn dear Leo. *sniff* I really do need to get the first two seasons. I didn't start watching until after the MS scandal hit.

Merry Christmas Jamie. You will no doubt find the spirit within and around you.

hello jamie: said...

You totally should!!! I don't have a 2005 ornament yet!

Btw, I have a little something for you... so little that I forgot it was in the bottom of my purse and forgot to send it with your card, lol.

Next time I come to Bah-ston, TWW marathon. The first two seasons are the best, IMO.

Sam Seaborn for President!

Anonymous said...

I would say BAH HUMBUG, but then everyone hates me. :-) So how about: I hope the Christmas I never had somehow finds you this year, Jamie. You've earned it more. :-D

Anonymous said...

aw, i just got a look at the picture of our tree from last year and it gave me a lump in my throat. i really missed our new york christmas this year. no balthazar, no village vanguard jazz, no walking in the snow, no stockings, no holidazzle. but have no fear, we'll do it again... my dear.