Saturday, December 03, 2005

I'm overcome with couth.

Sooo, I went to the symphony tonight. All dressed up and everything. The theater is super-fancy and really ornate and beautiful, with lots of guild and red velvet. And of course a chandelier. My step-dad and I started our usual Stadler and Waldorf routine before the show, which nearly caused my mom to separate us, but we behaved (mostly) once the lights went down. I did manage to get in a completely inappropriate "oh, look, Fum, Fum, Fum 'til your daddy takes the t-bird away!" during the show.

In all seriousness, I adore the symphony, especially the Christmas music. I may have missed my calling as a concert violinist. Except the part where I'm only mediocrely talented in the musical arena. We always sit up top, 'cause we're poor, yo, but I actually like it better, because you can watch the dozens of strings' bows all move in unison, and see the feet tapping and the page turning. I love watching musicians because of all the performance arts, you can really see that a musician would rather be playing his instrument than just about anything else in the world. Oh, to be paid for something you love to do! I hear some people actually live this way. I should look into that.

The show was really good- we heard some classics, including Hallelujah Amen which is basically the Judaic equivalent of The Messiah's Hallelujah Chorus, Carol of the Bells by the Central Ohio Children's Chorus (what is more beautiful than children singing?), and John Rutter's arrangement of O Here We Come A-Wassailing, and then some new things like a gorgeous ballet set to Greensleeves, a crazy rendition of Rudolf that I actually enjoyed- it was arranged to classic composers "with apologies to Beethoven and Handel", and a new Latin piece about starlight sung acapella- man, it took me back to my choir days and how much I LOVE to sing in Latin. WOW.

They also do a fun thing where all the kids in the audience put their names in a hat and one is drawn to conduct the orchestra in Sleigh Ride. It was really cute. A third-grader won and she got the percussion whips and everything. Unfortunately, Santa had to come out and ruin the ambience with his dumb jokes about Mrs. Claus driving the sleigh (seriously, that women-can't-drive joke really never gets not-funny). I'm not anti-Santa by any means; indeed, I can barely read Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus without welling up a little, but he didn't really belong in the program, as Santa is known the world over for his jolliness and generosity, not his soaring and melodious orchestral arrangements. I'm just saying.

Tomorrow I fly, weather permitting, to our nation's capitol, where I will somehow, however small my part, aid in a conference about the Education of Young Children. I also hope to go sight-seeing; I love D.C. at Christmas.

I'm working alone for the next two weeks, so expect many updates and IM sessions. My Christmas goal this year is to buy every single present online. I'm not stepping FOOT in a store if I can help it. Think I can do it? I'll keep receipts and give you guys a percentage at the end of the year. Feel free to log your bets.

OH! PS> I booked my Christmas/New Year's airplane ticket. Into Houston 12/22, out of Dallas 01/04. You guys keep me posted on happenings (*cough*Scottie's birthday*cough*) and shindigs. Can't wait to see you all, and for longer this time.

Love, J.

No comments: