Wednesday, March 14, 2007

kids say the darnedest things

Uncle Al found this in a cabinet that belonged to his parents (my grandparents). It was apparently written by a 9-year old me and a 4-year old cousin Justin (I'm guessing a 2-year old Jule was just too young to be a part of our grand plans at this point). You see, dear readers, I was not always the maven of grammar and spelling you now know and love. At nine, I was rather daft. Just ask Stanta:



In case you can't read it, "Dear Stanta, We left some things in hope that we will someday we will be your helpers. Yours sincerly, Jamie & Justin." I wonder what things we left? And practically a full month before Christmas?? I wonder if my 2 misspelled words and awkwardly constructed sentence is what kept Stanta from assigning me a helper-ship?

When my grandparents passed away, we found many such gems. I love that they kept these things. My mom gave me a few as mementos. Not to be outdone by Uncle Al, I found this in my scrapbook and photo'd it as well:



I can't decide if my favorite part is that the outside of this folded sheet said "I hope you get well soon!!" meaning that I was needling my sick grandfather to jump on my do-good bandwagon, or that I started to sign my last name and then erased it. At least I had the mental capacity that he probably didn't have another Jamie calling him "Peep." Check out that dog I drew. Brilliant.

Well, that's probably enough embarrassment for one day. In other news, Amy & I are going to see The Host tonight and I can't WAIT, and Chanelle & Krysten can get off my back; I finally (somewhat) updated Food, Glorious Food.

4 comments:

krysten said...

hysterical. i'm inspired to go dig out some of my own masterpieces. i was always being tested and evaluated because of my "gifted-ness", which is, as you can tell, quite apparent now in my full-grown(ish) state, right? hah! anyway, so i've got lots of drawings and emotional workbooks and whatnot that i was required to do...and they are awesome. maybe i'll put something together for my bday weekend...in honor of my triple decade achievement.

hello jamie: said...

clearly, I was not "gifted."

Anonymous said...

J,
I can only hope my mom is able to dig up my 4th grade report card. That year we got to design our own report card covers. Mine read: "Scott Blackman, Fouth Grade, Greetree". My elementary school at the time was, as you may have guessed, Greentree Elementary. At least I got my name correct...
This probably clears up the matter of my choice of college (Texas A&M) for those that only know me anecdotally or as an acquaintance. You see, I submitted that report card with my application materials and was immediately accepted.
Cheers.

KirFect said...

Dig the knew layout. I wish I had some of things I made from when I was younger but sadly they are all gone. Hang on to them