Wednesday, March 21, 2007

E8 Lie Group

I'm so glad someone finally solved this problem. My favorite part is when he compares 248 dimensions to 248 "levels of freedom." Hahahahhaha!

Don't get me wrong~ I love math. I even won the elusive "academic excellence award" in my honors calculus class in high school, trumping the valedictorian, salutatorian, and historian (Madge), all of whom were in my class. I watch Numb3rs. I think about trig angles during Trikonasana in yoga. (No really, I do. It's lame.) But mathematicians, and scientists in general- take themselves soooooo seriously! I find it hilarious.

I know there are serious things in life. And I know I wouldn't get any real joy of a life full of nothing but fluff and superficial fun. But I really believe that people who take themselves uber-seriously are missing out on something great about life. It feels so good to be silly and light and laugh until your stomach hurts. And not over a pi joke, but over something ridiculous or unexpected... like people falling down.

Anyway, that's my thought of the day... Lighten up. Solve your damn math problem and do a little dance. Maybe even make a fool of yourself. It's just more fun that way. I'm going to spend the afternoon memorizing arteries and then reward myself with a hot dog and some custard with Bill. (Ummm, veggie dog... when is Lent over????)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He would not be surprised if a giant, mysterious, symmetrical object showed up in our electronic gadgets? My job title does not have scientist in it, but that would certainly surprise me...

J- Those falling down clips made me giggle at work. Bankers are not supposed to giggle. Diabolical laugh when hoarding piles of money: OK. Giggle: not OK.

Anonymous said...

Wild About Harry's looks great!

Man, you Texans sure know how to eat...

krysten said...

my favorite part is where he says they "expect the solution to propel future advances in science and technology — though he admits that he's not sure how that will happen."

and if THAT'S not a well-founded expectation, i just don't know what is, HAH!

i TO-tally agree with you about people who take everything too seriously. i want to laugh, all the time, and at everything. and especially at people falling down and making fools of themselves. hee! bryce said "that's JAMIE!!"

i ate three frosted carrot cake muffins for dinner. and an accutane pill.