Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Stand

This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
-T.S. Eliot

I love Stephen King. I think he's a fantastic writer, an interesting celebrity, and the most American of Americans. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the horror genre in general, so I admit I haven't read enough of his books to be labeled a true fan, but what I've read, I've loved, and The Stand is one of my favorites. Still eerily too close to scientists' predictions of the world's end.

So, the miniseries came on Sci-Fi today. I just started it, and I'm already sufficiently creeped out. It's sort of dated now (who can hear "Don't Fear the Reaper" without thinking "more cowbell"?) but so far the tone is just right.

I still have a cold, so, after watching this, I probably won't sleep tonight. *shudder*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thumbs up to the new batgirl picture on here. it has that comic book feel to it, that i think is an underated art form.

hello jamie: said...

Midwest boy! I've been wondering what you've been up to!

I like comics, myself.

Kelly said...

It really does seem like there needs to be more cowbell.

Anonymous said...

My second laugh out loud of the morning. Julia got me with "I think that's biologically impossible," which is a line she's heard me say her whole life.

It is a good day.

And how odd that the word verification for me today is...

cwfsexu

Don't even try to figure out that acronym.

Anonymous said...

Scientists predict the world will end in a battle of good versus evil?
Cool.
(Spoiler: good wins)