Saturday, January 20, 2007

Room 115

It's very, very cold. OK, so, it's only about 20. But the wind chill is in the single digits and I am sitting by the huge wall of windows on the mezzanine level of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. In 2 pair of socks, my regular work clothes, a scarf, a jacket, and fingerless gloves. My favorite part about the weather was when the fire alarm at the hotel went off at 1am and I had to stand in the street in my pajamas for half an hour. That was pretty awesome.

Last night, I went to eat at Room 115. I think the real name of the place is Penn View Grille or something generic like that, but in the trade show industry, it's referred to as Room 115, because it's right across the street from the end of the first level of meeting rooms here at the Convention Center. It's basically where Room 115 will be when they rip down the diner to expand the Center. I've been going to Room 115 for at least 5 years. They are closing their doors on February 3rd.

It's basically a slightly more ethnic Luke's with a bar, and a big, jolly 100% Greek cook named Willy, who's been cooking there for 31 years. He's been there for longer than my entire life! I sat at the bar last night and talked to him for about an hour. He is about to be out of work for the first time in 31 years, and he still wouldn't let me pay for my dinner (a Greek salad with gyro meat and tzaziki sauce on the side - "on the side is very important to me"). I'm starting to wax nostalgic over the fact that I'm not going to have this job forever. People on the road often ask me where I live. I live in America, and I've been lucky enough to experience it from many different eyes and many different ears. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

In other news, Ethan Embry was on Season 1 finale of Numb3rs ... and well, he is just no longer Preston. Or Mark. Or even The Bass Player. Sad, sad turn of events. I barely even recognized him. ("You mean he's kinda tall, has hair, and he wear t-shirts. Sometimes.")

I'm about halfway through Season 1 of Scrubs, and I have to admit, I'm smitten with every character. I've always heard that Zach Braff is an incredibly smug a**hole, unfortunately, because I really, really like J.D. And that whole Ally McBeal-esque visual imagination thing they have going on. Keep in mind that if you ever see me staring off into space while you're talking to me, it's probably because there's a musical going on in my head.

(PS> Tom, I'm been singing "Marion the Librarian" ALL WEEK thanks to you. I even did a little part of the dance in my room last night with "Blink," "Tales from the City," and a manga. Yes, I'm just THAT big of a dork. Plus I wanted to see how much of it I remember from 15 years ago. Quite a bit, actually.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I would have paid MONEY to see THAT dance!!!

Glad you like Scrubs! Now if only I can get you to sit down and watch Farscape... then The Corruption of Jamie will be complete!

BWAH-HA-HA-HAH!!!!!!

hello jamie: said...

"what can I do, my dear, to bend your ear, I need you madly madly, Madame Librarian, Marion...."

oh dear LORD, I am not joking, while I am typing this, Mr Blue Sky just came on my iPod. Speaking of dancing like a maniac. I'm just scooting around a little in my rolly chair. *snort*

Anonymous said...

"Sun is shining in the sky,
There ain't a cloud in sight..."

Oh, Elton...

Anonymous said...

Scrubs also earned a Scotticus Top Pick award for television excellence in 2006, and now that it is broadly syndicated I can watch it 18 times a day...

Anonymous said...

Man, I LOVE Ethan Embry (Mark with a K, but who's band would be with a C because of that whole psychidelic trip thing will always have a little piece of my heart)--I've heard he looks weird these days. Sad.

I like Scrubs, but I can't ever seem to make time to watch a whole bunch of it... it's too hyper I think. I can't get through a dvd of eps because they exhaust me--so I catch it every once in a while and laugh and laugh. It's cute.