Friday, December 08, 2006

so christmas-y

Props to Sandy, who bought me Brian Wilson's Christmas album last year (and for being one of maybe two people in the world that would not only actually deign to purchase said album, but knew that I was secretly dying for it).

I'm Christmas-ing today. I went out and spent about a week's salary on presents this morning, but I think I got almost everyone. My sister is splitting my parents' with me, and I also got my Dad's birthday present (day after tomorrow), so I think I fared pretty well. Who I bought for: my Nacogdoches family (Daddy, Gale, sister & brother-in-law), my Ohio family (Mom, Tom, sister and brother-in-law), and my Houston family (Uncle Al, Auntie Sandy, Justin, & Julia). Who I didn't buy for: my neices and nephews. I got freaked out by the overwhelming choices. How am I supposed to know what they have/don't have/parents don't want them to have? Kids are difficult. Now I am baking and wrapping and addressing and stamping. I think I might have carpal tunnel in my right hand. Or maybe arthritis.

And because it can't be said enough, "My Favorite Things" is not a Christmas song.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So then does "Winter Wonderland" not count as a Christmas song either? (falling under the coincidental category)

krysten said...

no way, you're not taking Winter Wonderland away! they talk about snowmen!! it's christmas-y!!

hello jamie: said...

There are several winter-themed songs widely accepted as Christmas songs: Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow, for example. Jingle Bells. Baby, it's Cold Outside. But My Favorite Things? That's from the Sound of Music. Julie Andrews and 6 of the Von Trapp kiddos singing about their favorite things because they were scared during a thunderstorm. ("God bless Curt!") It doesn't have anything to do with Christmas, or wintertime, or the baby Jesus, or any commercialized Christmas character like Rudolph or Frosty or that pesky little drummer boy. That's all I'm sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Understood. I'm just saying that "My Favorite Things" mentions woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with strings (gift giving), sleigh bells, snow flakes, and silver white winters.

krysten said...

hmmmm, that IS true. although whats with the kittens and copper kettles... i think it is more of an all-inclusive song, it does mention those winters melting into spring...