Tuesday, December 05, 2006

calling all sleuths...

First, the next chapter in my car saga- after the axles, the battery, and the brake pads, I finally went to get it inspected, and everything works, and then Erin and I are just sitting in my car, and out of nowhere, the driver side back window just falls down. Or like, slips down, like it's rolled down, except it's not. I could slide it up with my hands, but I guess it's off the track or something, because it won't stay up. Bill taped it up for me. It's super classy.

Now, onto my Christmas mystery: Last year, Christmas 2005, I was "living" at my parents'. All of my things were in storage. Literally locked up in a storage unit, a good 10 miles from my parents' house. I am the only one who had a key. I went in there a couple of times during the 9 months my stuff was housed there- once to get my winter coat and once to get some dvds, stuff like that. But I never got out my Christmas stuff, because since I was at my mom's, there was really no point. My mom gave me two ornaments last year (a cute Christmas tree made out of kitchen utensils, and an awesome Hallmark Pat the Bunny Keepsake), and I also bought one in Wisconsin this summer, and I had those 3 tucked away in my hall closet for when I got out all my stuff this year. Meaning, this year, when I got out my tree and decorations, I hadn't seen my Christmas stuff in 2 years.

Well, I have all my ornaments in their original boxes, and all those boxes stacked in a big tupperware tub with a lid. I'm was going through it, and putting the ornaments on the tree, and thinking about where I got them all and how much they all mean to me... and about 2/3 down in the tub, I come across an ornament I've never seen before. It's the Statue of Liberty in a glass dome with the military branch flags around it. (It's literally this one.) It doesn't seem like something that I would buy, but here's the really weird part: it's a 2005 Hallmark Keepsake. My stuff was in storage in 2005. I haven't opened this box since Christmas 2004. I've never seen it before. My mom doesn't know anything about it either. Where did this ornament come from and how did it get into the bottom of a box that was packed in a storage unit in Columbus, Ohio??

Trixie Belden would totally get to the bottom of this. I, on the other hand, am just putting it out there in blogland in hopes that the answer will come back to me.

4 comments:

krysten said...

ok, that is blowing my mind...

haha!

i need to change my blog colors....i wish i had my own computer to do it on though, this one is all weird. poo.

Anonymous said...

NEVER underestimate the power of Santa Claus!

The Bagboy said...

Methinks someone is being sneaky with you.

Anonymous said...

I think applying a timeline of events might help clear up some of the mystery.
You moved to Ohio at the very beginning of June 2005. Hallmark releases several of their keepsake ornaments in July, perhaps some even earlier. But in any case, the ornament you reference may have come out at the beginning of July 2005. You probably recall better than I, but it may be the case that you and those helping you where loading up boxes into your storage unit at that same time.
Therefore, the conclusion I would apply first is that if you didn't put the ornament in there at that time, someone helping you with the movement of storage unit items did.