Wednesday, May 03, 2006

'Cause everyone's your friend, in New York City...

I was just looking through some old photos, and I can't believe I've forgot to post this until now.

So, about a year and a half ago, Evan and I were out in Manhattan with the TANC-ers: Gina (from Boston), Gen (from Toronto), Susanna and James (from Barcelona), and Bee (from San Francisco)... (and wow! how did we pull that off??) I don't even remember the name of this bar, but we were all having martinis (which had questionable names, if I recall), talking, laughing, a normal night out ... and out of nowhere, the bar becomes jam-packed with drag queens. It was the oddest thing! There were literally hundreds of them!! It got so crowded with them that it was hard to tell where the drag queens ended and the real New Yorkers began. ANYway, we came to find out that there had been a birthday party next door. A birthday party for a "lady" named Sweetie. Check out the size of her hand, yo. Wow. Just... wow.

It was crazy crowded, and I got felt up by two "men" who wanted to guess my bra size, I met a guy from NACOGDOCHES at the bar, and poor James, who speaks no English, probably sat there thinking "stupid Americans." And then it got so crowded that someone called the fire department, and they all came in in their firemen's uniforms, and we just thought they were just more um... flamboyantly costumed men, so we were all cheering and laughing, and then they made us leave and when we got outside it was snowing.

What a magical New York night.

So anyway, last week, more than a year later, Evan sends me some of my old mail, a lovely housewarming note, and a flyer he had cut out of a magazine. It was so nice to see a familiar face. If you can't depend on New York, who can you depend on?

9 comments:

krysten said...

you see, these are the kinds of nights that happen in New York.

what a place, what a place.

soooooooo, when are we going back?

hello jamie: said...

*I* am going back in a mere 9 days!!! Can you come?? Tonny's going away party, the Darwin exhibit at AMNH, and Tom bought us tickets to see BLOSSOM DEARIE!!!!! You don't get more New York than that.

Don't worry, we'll have a glass, er, bottle of Jack in your honor.

*snort*

(ps> they won't accept the *strike* tag in the comments!!! wha?)

krysten said...

hmph.

HMPH i say!

be sure to tell everyone i said hello.

*frowns*

Gina said...

Oh. My. Gawd.

I forgot about them wanting to guess your bra size. ROFL.

Wasn't it Gen who ordered the "purple p*ssy" and when she asked for more "p*ssy" I said, "That's probably the only time in your life you'll say that." *snort*

Oh thanks for the smile babe.

Anonymous said...

Krysten, any time. Just say the word. :-)

Bee said...

I actually have the bars business card. I'll need to remind myself to post it tonight. : )

Gina said...

Shit I meant to post that I had the card too. It's "Marion's"

Brain Diva said...

Thanks for the memories, J! I was about to post the name of the bar too because I have the card on my board in my bedroom. I like leaving mementos of fun times up there.

Gina, I thought it was the other way around. I thought you were the one who ordered more pussy, and I made fun of you. I'll need to go back to accounts of it we may have written up at the time because I'm not sure either way.

hello jamie: said...

my virgin ears!!!