Tuesday, February 27, 2007

life changes

So, I've made a big life-altering decision this week. (One could argue that every decision is a life-altering decision but that's another post for another day.) I've decided to take the summer off from school. It's been plaguing me for a couple of months and I just finally broke down and decided. I feel better already, actually.

My original plan was to quit my job in May and take my last 2 science classes (+ 2 freshman goverment classes... stupid Texas public school requirements) over the summer, to apply in the fall, to start in the spring, and be done December 2009. But the last 4 sememsters I have been balls-to-the-wall (figuratively, of course) with work and travel and school, and I've really been stressing myself out lately. This semester is hard. All of the sudden life was screeching up to May and I am just not ready to quit my job. I'm not ready financially; I'm not ready emotionally- I'm just not ready. Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure quitting my steady income job to wait tables and take 4 classes in 12 weeks wouldn't really do anything to alleviate my stress level. I feel like I chose the quickest path and there was really no need to do so. It's not like nursing is going anywhere. Plus if I wait another cycle, I can do the fast-track plan (15 months instead of 2 years)- which will only push back graduation 9 months from the previous plan, allow me to take out fewer student loans, and put me in a program of people my age, who have degrees in other fields and have real-life work experience under their belts. All in all I think it will be a more enjoyable experience for me to do it this way.

So, summer is mine, like the old days. I'm going to give my brain a little rest from capillaries and tissues and bones. I'm just going to work, and read, and travel, and maybe even go on vacation. I'm going to turn 31 and I'm going to go back to school in the fall. In the end I think my psyche will thank me for it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you've made an excellent life-altering decision. Keep up the good work. It's back to studying for me--hooray for midterms

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful decision to me! I'm sure it'll be great to just relax without having the added stress of school.

Yay, summer!

krysten said...

does this mean a trip to Arizona??

;-)

Bee said...

Congrats chica. You deserve the time off. I also decided to go back to school. *whispers* don't tell anyone, but I'm going to try the law school thing again *whispers*

If everything goes as planned, I would graduate in 2012 (Around my 34th bday!!!) = 0