Sunday, February 25, 2007

make-up help

Thanks for all the discussion in the book-to-movie post. I'm surprised I didn't hear from Giovanna or Brain Diva so maybe this post will reel them in.

Most of you know, I'm not a really girly girl when it comes to primping. Don't get me wrong, I like to look cute or whatever, but I pretty much only buy drugstore makeup and if my hair takes long than 10 minutes to fix, well, forget about it. It's not going to be fixed. I just don't like wasting an hour of the day in the bathroom looking at myself.

Two days ago, I was a the drugstore and needed to pick up some mascara. I have been wearing the same mascara for about 15 years- Max Factor 2000 Calorie. It's the best. I've tried others but always come back. In fact, In Style did a huge mascara survey a few years ago and good old $4.50 Max Factor 2000 Calorie came in 2nd place after some $30-department store stuff (which I would never buy. I also didn't read said article; someone told me about it, so my facts could be off).

Well, I couldn't find it at my Walgreen's- in fact, I couldn't find the Max Factor display at all. I remembered hearing somewhere that some major drugstore chain doesn't carry some major make-up line, like Rite-Aid doesn't carry Cover Girl or CVS doesn't carry Maybelline, or something. I just assumed that it was Walgreen's and Max Factor and decided to pick it up at Target the next day.

So yesterday, I couldn't find the Max Factor at Target, either, so befuddled (and hungry, and you guys know how all over the place I am when I am hungry), I turned to the first Target employee I saw, who happened to be the Boots rep, and asked where the Max Factor was, and she said they had been bought out!!!!! I was all... "no more Max Factor?" "No," she said, not unkindly. "I can't remember who bought them out, but Max Factor won't be sold here anymore." "So no more 2000 Calorie mascara?" I asked with a quivering lip. Long story short- I was so verklempt that she talked me into a $9 tube of Boots mascara, which by the way, BLOWS.

So, now, I need some girl help. I need a new mascara (drugstore mascara, not department store mascara). Please keep in mind that I spent the last 15 years faithful to my 2000 Calorie, so I'm going to be emotionally distant and commitment-phobic to new mascaras for a little while.

10 comments:

krysten said...

i feel your pain...same thing happened to me with my washable waterproof mascara that i wore all my life until like five years ago when they stopped making it. wha?

so i started using Volum' from maybelline or whoever and it was ok...but then i switched over to Lash Exact from...uh...Cover Girl, i think. and i love it! it's true, the clump DOES stop there! i suggest trying it, the bristles are made of like a silicone or something so they separate the lashes really well.

good luck, i hope you find a new one you like.

Anonymous said...

I think you tried this before and didn't like it but my tried and true fav is Maybelline Sky High Curves.

Anonymous said...

Jamie -- It looks to me as if Max Factor still exists. It's owned by Proctor & Gamble, & if you search their website, you get the NEW Max Factor webpage. Here's the link to find out where to buy. (& like your Uncle Al, I don't know how to do html links!)

http://www.maxfactor.com/user/get/where_to_buy.do

--Magnoliajem

Kelly said...

I really like Cover Girl Lash Exact.

Anonymous said...

I third Lash Exact.
- EJ

Anonymous said...

Who cares? You're just gonna get hurt by some boy and end up looking like a raccoon anyway.

krysten said...

J, i saw some of the 2000 calorie at my local walgreens, have you checked there? and if you still cant find it, you want me to go get some and send it to you? ;-)

Gina said...

Sorry babe, I've been AWOL in Maine with no internet, and I left my charger AC cord there so my laptop with all my bookmarks is dead until we get back there! Meh.

I've read several mascara reviews in the past that always seem to put Mabelline's old stand-by Great Lash (the pink tube) at the top.

I'm a Loreal girl, mainly because my sister gets me boat loads for free. I've tried a lot of them; right now I have Lash Architech open. It's good. You know, a lot of it is in the application. I found out about 3 or 4 years ago I was putting it on not all that effectively. You're supposed to grab the lashes at the base with the brush, and then gently move the wand back and forth like you're brushing your teeth as you extend upward.

Anyway... I have big lashes so I never really worry too much about what I'm putting on them 'cept for color.

hello jamie: said...

ok, I found the "new max factor" 2000 Calories at Albertson's... Apparently they only sell there, Tom Thumb, and Wal-Mart. All places I never go but will make it a point to buy my 2000 Calorie mascara. My lashes look normal for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help, gals!!

Anonymous said...

You took the Target employees word as gold? How old was she, 16? You then went home and freaked out on your blog instead of investigating for yourself. You do have an Internet connection,correct? Are you an adult?