Wednesday, February 07, 2007

home

So, after 2 back-to-back shows of 100-miles-a-minute, I finally got home yesterday. My travel day brought its own set of stresses, including a cab driver without a credit card machine who held my luggage hostage while I ran all over SFO looking for an ATM, a rooster on my airplane (yes, seriously), hairspray leaking all over my leather boots in my suitcase, and a unit exam over the endocrine system. I was in my pj's by 5pm with a bowl of homemade vegetable soup and a glass several glasses of wine. I caught up on some TV and decided to hit today with renewed vigor.

I had a conference call at 10, and that went fine, and then I was going to go to yoga at 12:15, but lo and behold, my only clean work-out pants were also soaked with hairspray from the aforementioned suitcase spill. Since I had so much laundry, I decided to take it to the laundromat instead of making 6 rounds in the apartment courtyard. I thought that would be less stressful but it wasn't. There was a machine malfunction and a broken hanger and a pair of clean wet pants dropped on the dirty floor. I think the real problem with today is that I didn't give myself enough R&R before jumping in. After the last week and a half, I should have allowed myself a full 24 hours of sloth before trying to be productive.

I was trying to study in the laundromat, but my mind kept wandering (ibym "wandering"... "fleeing off topic"). There was a girl about my age in there with 2 small children, and I found myself wondering about her life. Was she married? Did she love her husband? Did they plan their family? She had a nice face, like we could be friendly if we spoke the same language. We're neighbors but we live in different worlds.

In other news, my basil plant, Shady Spice, finally decided to give up. It wasn't her fault she had to live on my shady windowsill and never get watered. It wasn't her fault that my travel schedule keeps me from fully committing to a relationship. She finally understood that I was never going to be for her what she needed me to be, and she went on to a better place (that big spice garden in the sky). RIP, Shady Spice.

I thought I would get more done today. I have schoolwork but I need to go get an ink cartridge for my printer. I need to pick up my coat from the tailor so I can take it to NYC (another stress: I leave next Tuesday and don't yet have a hotel room; long story). I need a new power cord for my Nextel. I need to do 2 expense reports, 2 time sheets, and 2 post-show reports. I need to test my next show. I need to watch everything on my DVR so I can leave again. I need to put clean sheets on my bed and mop the bathroom and go through the stack of mail on my coffee table. Which reminds me, I need to pay my renter's insurance and I need to make an appointment to get my taxes done. I need a haircut.

And apparently, I need to go to the gym before I have a heart attack. But not today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Busier than a mosquito at a nudist colony. Busier than a one-armed pimp in a bitch slappin' contest. Busier than a termite in a sawmill. Busier than a pair of jumper cables at a Mexican funeral. My work here is done.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, LOL. uncle al's articulation is unmatched. i think your witty ode to shady spice just got trumped. ~amy g

Anonymous said...

"a pair of jumper cables at a Mexican funeral"?!?!?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dude, Jamie... if this is your genepool, you've got NUTHIN' to worry about. Your sense of humor will get you through ANYTHING.

krysten said...

i liked the "one-armed pimp" one, hahaha!

hey, i got my hair cut FOR you, how 'bout that?

sorry about the plant. :(

and i'm pretty sure you could do without the house-cleaning, right? i mean, really, how dirty could your apartment be with you not in it for more than two days at a time?? i mean, if something has to go...

Anonymous said...

Don't stress about a hotel room next week, Batgirl. Wonderwoman or I always would always have room for you.

hello jamie: said...

Superman, I think The Commissioner is coming, too!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man... that's a lot of annoying crap for just a couple of days. I can relate. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Commissioner will be joining us. I got confirmation on that this morning. I am very glad I cleaned and pressed my cape.

hello jamie: said...

Make sure you gel that forehead curl, too!!