Monday, May 05, 2008

a hundred things

So, Bischer talked me into blogging a hundred things about me. Apparently it was all the rage in the blog world a few years ago and I missed the trend. Maybe I will bring it back. I'm somewhat daunted, but I do love a good challenge, so I think I'll take her up on it. Hey, you may learn something new. Hey, *I* may learn something new! I wonder how long it will take me? I will let you know in 100.

1. I really, really hate shaking hands.

2. I am obsessed with food. I like to eat it, cook it, smell it, read about it, talk about it, watch other people cook it, and generally obsess over it. I don't know how it happened because not one of my four parents are even remotely interested in it, past its necessity to live.

3. I am very, very poor at forming first impressions. I almost never like someone upon first meeting. People pretty much always grow on me though, so I'm working on giving people 2nd chances more readily.

4. I love soup.

5. I am freakishly good at math. I took the Academic Excellence Award for college-level calculus when I was in high school, but I can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator.

6. I dream a lot, almost every night, and I almost always remember something about them.

7. Psychologists say that most people are intrinsically attracted to people like themselves, and I think it is probably true, as all of my favorite literary heroines are not-that-girly, intelligent, somewhat scrappy, and have either curly or auburn/red hair (Anne, Lucy, Lyra, Hermione).

8. Apparently, I love hyperlinks.

9. I believe I have a relatively healthy body image (about 85% of the time... -ish), and I think that's pretty damn impressive considering our current society.

10. If I won the lottery, I would quit my job and travel for at least 2 years. Pick your country, kids, because I intend to fly a friend to meet me at every new airport.

11. Olives are my favorite food.

12. I don't like sports (playing them, or watching them). I'm sorry. I don't think you sports fans are stupid, or that sports don't have a place in the world-- I'm just not interested.

13. Proving someone wrong is never in my agenda. If you think I'm the best friend in the world then I will probably continue to amaze you. If you think I'm a lazy slacker then I really can't be bothered to try and change your mind.

14. I am only sick at most about once a year. I'm kind of a baby about it.

15. If I was 8" taller I would probably be a Rockette right now.

16. I would choose potato chips over a candy bar 99 times out of 100.

17. I think I like sci-fi and fantasy because it always comes down to good vs. evil and good always wins. Which is weird because in a regular, realism-based drama, I love a good solid unhappy ending-- I think it's more realistic.

18. I really, really like being by myself. But I always test remarkably close to 50-50 on those introvert/extrovert tests (Myers-Briggs, for example), and I think I'm becoming more extroverted with age.

19. I hate it when people whistle.

20. My favorite things to shop for are cocktail dresses and high heels, but I wear jeans and sneakers pretty much every single day.

21. I had insomnia from the age 10 to the age 30 and now suddenly I sleep like a rock!! Knock on wood. I don't know why but I am not going to ask any questions. Maybe my natural circadian rhythm just works better in the Pacific time zone or something.

22. I am almost never bored.

23. I love making lists (and a copy of the list, in case anything happens to the first list).

24. Most of my closest friends are type-B personalities and I think that's probably for the best(there's a reason opposites attract).

25. I would rather spend $100 on a nice meal out than a new outfit.

26. I love to laugh, and hear other people laugh. Laughing is cool.

27. My favorite scent is lavender.

28. I have been to 48 states (I'm missing North Dakota and Alaska).

29. I love love love babies, but don't really like children.

30. I think people are inherently good. That may make me naive, but the alternative would make me very, very sad.

31. I have never been off the continent. Lame.

32. My favorite thing about living in Northern California is sleeping every night of the year without central heat or air.

33. I believe in helping people less fortunate than I am.

34. The classiest lady I ever knew was my grandmother.

35. I still sleep with a teddy bear.

36. I enjoy talking about pooping. (Hey, Everyone Poops.)

37. I have 3 tattoos and 7 piercings, but I still think I look fairly mainstream.

38. One of my favorite things in the whole world is clean sheets and freshly shaved legs.

39. I am considering bangs but I think I will probably regret it. Someone talk me out of it.

40. This list is really hard.

41. I am not fond of convention, but I guess it's a good thing it exists or else people wouldn't be able to do things unconventionally.

42. Gay men love me.

43. I used to play the piano fairly well. I wish I had one so I could play more.

44. I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but it is absolutely necessary.

45. I hate the Southern accent (yes, I'm from the South).

46. I honestly think I'm "above" watching reality television.

47. I honestly don't care if you rolled your eyes at that statement.

48. I am obsessed with the concept and science of time (and also, time-travel, but that could be another line item).

49. I am obsessed with the concept of time-travel.

50. I don't think any man should take longer to get ready in the morning that I do.

51. I abhor people who are chronically late; to me, it says that they (perhaps subconciously) believe their time is more important than my time.

52. Ditto on people that don't RSVP- it's really, really easy (thank you, Evite); if someone doesn't RSVP I assume he/she is waiting for a better offer.

53. I love semi-colons; they're much more emphatic than a comma+ "and."

54. I always (try to) spell and puncuate properly, even via text message and IM.

55. I love the color pink, even though I am really not that girly.

56. I wear chucks almost every day.

57. I fear I might not be as interesting as creating a list of 100 Things about Me might infer.

58. I am in Mensa.

59. My middle name is Lee.

60. I have 0+ blood, which makes me a universal donor, but I can't donate blood anymore because...

61. I have had skin cancer.

62. I share a birthday with Alfred Hitchcock, Annie Oakley, Dan Fogelberg, Don Ho, Bert Lahr, and Fidel Castro.

63. "Phaino," which I use for my username most of the time, means "I shine" or "I [cause something to] shine" in koine Greek, which I took in college.

64. I used to use "texandthecity" when I lived in NY, but somebody already took it before I got my gmail addy out of it.

65. I am a vegetarian, mostly for health reasons, and the couple of times I've "caved" it's been for red meat. I never, ever miss chicken or turkey or pork (well, sometimes breakfast meats, but not like a chop or loin) but there's just nothing like a nice steak or cheeseburger (mmmm, cheeseburger....). If I could afford to eat grass-fed, hormone-free beef from a reputable farmer, I would probably eat it once every week or two. Since I can't, and you never know what you're going to get from a restaurant, I just think it's easier to rock my vegetable protein.

66. My favorite food is probably Mediterranean. I love lemon, olives, garlic, feta, and any combo of said flavors, which are usually all present in some form in most Mediterranean dishes. Plus? Falafel!!!! It's like a hush-puppy made with garbanzo beans!!! What's not to like?

67. My favorite 10 adult novels are as follows, in no particular order: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, The Stand by Stephen King, The Life of Pi by Yann Martel, The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood, Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Brave New World by Adolus Huxley.

68. I couldn't possibly narrow down my top 10 adult novels vs. my top 10 children's books vs. my top 10 non-fiction books.

69. When it comes to children's literature (which I am very, very fond of) my favorites tend to be series. I love The Chronicles of Narnia series, the A Wrinkle in Time series, the His Dark Materials series, the Anne of Green Gables series, the Alice in Wonderland series duo, the Wizard of Oz series, the Emily of New Moon series, and obviously, the Harry Potter series.

70. When it comes to music, I tend to gravitate toward oldies and classic rock. I love the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Hollies, The Who, and the like. New stuff doesn't much interest me.

71. I also love Broadway showtunes.

72. I missing singing in my car.

73. I don't miss owning a car.

74. ohmigah, I'm almost 3/4 of the way to the end of this list!!!

75. I have been practicing Bikram yoga for about 2 years. I want to be certified someday.

76. I am obsessed with Sudoku and Freecell.

77. I never gamble because I honestly don't think I'd be able to control myself.

78. When I travel, I never get my hotel room serviced. I don't know why people find this odd. I just like to feel like my room is "lived in" and honestly, who changes their sheets and towels every day when they're at home?

79. I absolutely loathe bell peppers. It's pretty much the only vegetable I won't eat. Sometimes I will use the seeds out of a jalapeno and I don't mind hotties like serranos and chipotles, but anything that's so mild I can taste the pepper part really grosses me out. PS> It's hard to be a vegetarian that doesn't like red peppers because for some reason it seems to be the universal standard in vegetarian dishes.

80. I loooooove vinegar, or anything pickled. Olives, pickles, those little cocktail onions, okra, bean sprouts, garlic cloves, green beans-- anything you can pickle... all of it. YUM.

81. I pretend to enjoy crossword puzzles, because I feel like it's something I should enjoy, but really, I'm not very good at them, and frankly, don't find much pleasure in the process.

82. I'm hungry.

83. I'm hungry pretty much every couple of hours or so.

84. When I order at restaurants, it's something akin to Sally in When Harry Met Sally. "I'd like the chef salad, please, with the oil and vinegar on the side, and the apple pie a la mode. But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top. I want it on the side. And I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of a can, then nothing." Waitress: "Not even the pie?" Sally: "No, just the pie, but then not heated." I wish I were kidding, but I'm soooooo not.

85. Currently I'm wondering if anyone is actually going to read this and thinking about how long it's going to take me to edit.

86. I think most people's common ailments can be fixed by better nutrition and exercise.

87. I tend to tell them so.

88. I should probably keep my mouth shut more often.

89. I am kind of a control freak.

90. However, I am also kind of a fill-in-the-gaps kind of person-- if I'm with a another control freak it doesn't bother me to let them take charge.

91. I have worn the same James Avery bangle every day since high school graduation in May of 1994.

92. I hate Las Vegas. I think it's trashy, and everything that's wrong with America all squished together and lit up in neon.

93. I hope Bisher is proud of me for this accomplishment.

94. Nothing makes me angrier than snobbishness. (Snobbery?)

95. I don't understand the draw of Julia Roberts (no offense, if you're reading this blog).

96. I can make an entire night (and actually, a pretty awesome one) out of Seinfeld, Friends, and Scrubs reruns.

97. I find it exhausting to stay mad at someone. That coupled with my horrible memory usually means I couldn't hold a grudge if I wanted to.

98. I want to plant an herb garden.

99. I think the greatest Gen X movie of all time is Empire Records.

100. I did it! I did it!! I did it!!!!! It took four sittings. I'm tired of myself.

Happy Cinco de Mayo. Love, Me.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Hooray!!! I AM proud. It is probably the only post that will take you that long to write, so bravo.

So you've never been to Europe either? I was beginning to think I was the only one! (But it's seriously so much money to travel that it's not something that bothers me all that much. It'll always be there.)

Anonymous said...

RE: #10 - Can I have New Zealand? and I think Kay Jay wants Italy.
Cheers,
Scotticus

hello jamie: said...

of course! So far, here's the list:

Amy- Greece
Susannah- China
Scotticus- New Zealand
KJ- Italy
Bischer- "Europe"- hahaha

Desperately Desperate said...

I regret that we didn't hang out more when you lived here in NY. I think everytime we hung out it was in a group setting. I want to watch TV and eat with you all day, and all night and then spend the next day walking around talking. It sounds so cheesy but true.

Karen said...

PS, RE No. 98: Basil and parsley grow GREAT indoors. You just need a sunny window (I've always had western exposure when growing mine, so you don't even need the much ballyhooed southern exposure) and to plant according to the packaging. Basil makes the whole place smell nice too!

hello jamie: said...

Kenny, I think that is the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!!

hello jamie: said...

Karen- mmmm, parsley. I like basil too- but I LOVE flat-leaf parsley. I don't really have a sunny window.... I'll have to see what I can rig on the fire escape.

Anonymous said...

#34 Brought a tear to my eyes, since I assumed you were referring to Nell. I'm always surprised when that happens, since they've been gone nine years!

#54 Bless you. You are part of a dying breed.

#70 I thought is was just me. The kids gave me the Zeppelin collection for Christmas. Awesome.

#79 It's hereditary. You can't hate them more than I do. Seriously. I've got stories.

#91 Did we give you that bracelet? We do a lot of James Avery for graduations.

iamchanelle said...

#10 - i call france.

and seriously??? i second you on #2, #4, #6, #11, #12, #16, #18, #23, #26, #31, #33, #38 (really? i thought i was just really neurotic), #39 (i resisted bangs for 20 years. finally got 'em and don't regret it. but they have to be really good bangs, yo.) #52, #54, #56, #65 (but i cave for the white meat), #66, #69, #70 (yeah zeppelin!), #72 (i ALWAYS sing in my car!), #80, #82, #83, #86, #89, and #98 (have actually tried and failed many times; i keep trying anyway).

i loved your list. you are the coolest person ever, and i love you for all of those things.
HUG!!!
~cc

dw said...

Can I say that your 100 list is incredible? It is! You are a very interesting person and wonder why we never talked more.