Tuesday, May 27, 2008

To all those who didn't like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

Seriously. I have talked to like, 3 people (men, in fact) that didn't care for the film. I keep hearing things like "he's too old; those fight scenes aren't believable" and "it's just too far-fetched." To which I answer, sorry, but have you not seen the other 3? I have, all 4 in a row, this weekend, and I think the 4th is just as good as the others. (I could have done without the aliens, because, really, way to mix your genres there, Spielberg- but even with, the movie is great.)

I think those of you who say he's told old now? Really mean you're too old now. The first three that came out in '81, '84, and '89, respectively, are forever linked in your mind to that period in your life. You found them more believable because you were a kid. They are grand, bold adventures that belong on the big screen. Just because you are a little older/wiser/harder now doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a good fictional tale of mystere and wonder. So is Indy!! I mean, come on, I was 5 when I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater, in my dad's lap, screaming in horror when those things flew out of the Ark and those Nazis faces melted off. I was 8 when Temple of Doom came out, about the age to believe yes, I could be Short Round and go on fantastical adventures with Indy!!! I was 13 when the Last Crusade opened, the age to get starry-eyed about such a heroic and handsome man as Indiana Jones. This is just another chapter in the story, and I thought it was exactly what it should be.

As usual, Ebert agrees with me.

Next up for me- Prince Caspian, Wall-E, Sex & the City (I know; I didn't really want them to make it, but since they did, I will see it), and The X-Files. I love summer movies!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm stunned we didn't agree on this one, Jamie. Seriously. STUNNED.

And I don't care about Indy's age AT ALL. I care about a poorly structured story, a lack of clear line from one location to the next, and why they were going there, poorly shot action sequences, and BAD CGI. (WHich I can totally overlook in the first three, but in this day and age, not so much)

And as for the aliens, I didn't mind them at all. Hell, we got the ghost of a Holy Grail Guardian in the last one - I can TOTALLY swallow aliens. But that's the least of that film's problems.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. But it's ALLLLLL about Wall-E now. I'll see SATC and X-Files, but Wall-E is the one I'm foaming at the mouth over.

That, and Tropic Thunder in August.

Anonymous said...

And what's with the fake plane flying all over the world, following a red line? That's really bad FX, imho.

Nah, just kidding, we liked it. It's a summer movie, so it was all we expected, although we're pretty easy. (That's what SHE said.)

Anonymous said...

OMG Jamie!~ I cannot beleive you just put SPOLIERS in your blog. Of all people I thought I could trust this blog, since movies and TV are so important to you. I am so upset!~

BLARG!~

:(

XOXO anyway. But still.

Anonymous said...

HAH! I love your Uncle Al! :-) "Yeah, look at Speed Racer. THAT'S what they should have done with the red line, damn it!" (Kidding)

Oh, and FYI - when I said there wasn't a clear line from one location to the next, I wasn't talking about the red line. I was talking about a through-line. hee hee hee

ANd yeah... I didn't notice the spoiler thing, but you should throw a Spoiler Alert up there for those who haven't seen it. Can't really argue with that.

I still love, Jamie!!!!

hello jamie: said...

wait, wait-- what spoilers????? I didn't say anything that anyone who's read a magazine in the last 3 months wouldn't know!

Sorry :(

Anonymous said...

I go out of my way NOT to read things about movies I want to see before they come out though, a lot of people do. <3

But yeah, I still love you. ;)

The Bagboy said...

Your post sounds amazingly similar to a certain conversation we had about Iron Man, but in reverse.

Anonymous said...

Now Iron Man -- that was a GREAT summer blockbuster. Seen it three times now. GOLD! (No pun intended)

Lena said...

I just watched it last night...a little disappointed, sorry! Far-fetched-ness (is that a word??) I can live with, but it was waaaaaay chessier than I remember. Goofy, actually. And although I love Shia LeBeouf, I can't take him seriously as a tough guy.