Sunday, August 06, 2006

Inspiration

Last summer, I bought my friend/co-worker/fellow foodie Brittny a book called Julie & Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen. It's the book written by a 29-year old Texan-turned-New Yorker in a dead-end job, who decided she needed a project to survive her 30th birthday, proceeded to cook everything in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking in the course of one year, blogged about it, and got a book deal. In other words, my own personal superhero.

Being somewhat of a Julia fan myself, as well as a (very, very) minor cook, I thought the book was cute and that Brittny would like it. About a month after I sent it to Charleston, she mailed it back to me, gushing over how much I would like it. That was last summer. I just finished it this morning.

I'm sorry I procrastinated so long because I did like it, very much. I'm not sorry I procrastinated because today, one week before my own 30th birthday, it was quite inspirational for me. Like Julie Powell, I am in the midst of my own early-mid-life-crisis-induced project, only mine is called nursing school and is going to take me another two and a half years to complete. And I probably won't get a book deal and a possible Nora Ephron movie script out if it. But in reading this book, I learned a lot from both Julie and Julia, from Julie~ the life-saving value of a project and how your crazy friends can help you through the ups and downs of it, and from Julia~ living deep and sucking the marrow of out life (and bones, but that's another post for another blog).

Listening to: Jackopierce, Finest Hour

4 comments:

iamchanelle said...

i love it when a good book inspires me to better my life! i have been wanting to read that one for a loooooong time and have never gotten around to it...i forsee a trip to B&N in my near future...

and happy, happy pre-birthday week! you are the best, and deserve nothing less. you are very loved, my dear!
{{{HUGS!!!}}}

krysten said...

bravo for finishing it, haha! sounds like a great book, i think i've heard of it from chanelle actually.

Brain Diva said...

I like books that inspire. I might have to read this since I look cooking so much too.

Hang in there, dear. :) Any big 3-0 celebration plans?

iamchanelle said...

i am so excited! i just won my bid for a copy of this very book on ebay - and for cheep!cheep!

i can't wait to begin reading it - you got me going! :)