Monday, August 28, 2006

Another frackin' birthday--

Seriously, it seems like all people do in December is have sexual relations!

Today is the 30th birthday of my awesome, quirky friend Brad, who some of you know as Yogi. I, in fact, might be the only person left in the world that calls him by his given name. Brad and I have been friends forever - and even though our relationship has never had even an inkling of romance, we made a pact when we were about 14 that if were both still single at 30 (because 30 was soooo old!), we would get married. Earlier this summer we panicked and decided to push it to 40.

Brad and I talk every Sunday afternoon, and it usually goes something like this: "Hey, what are you doing, making soup?" "Yeah, chicken was on sale. It's got lots of bell peppers in it. What are you doing?" "Gross. Watching Can't Hardly Wait." "Channel, please?"

So, this picture was taking in the fall of 1993. Egads!

Ironically, Bradley and I were a Duke & Duchess in the Nacogdoches High School Homecoming Court. If either one of us had been the GDI Ambassadors we are today way back then, I'm sure upon being asked to serve in Homecoming Court we might have either looked at each other and then laughed until we cried, given the asker a "what the hell are you thinking?" look before slowing backing away with garlic crosses, or maybe even thrown up in our (respective) mouths a little bit. Which is why I look back on my time of high school inclusion with fondness tinged with disbelief.

This was the same year that we were in, nay, STARRED in - The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - as Leroy and Imogene Herdman. I'll never forget that play, because the teacher from hell, Lady McWorsham, told me after Imogene's Mary scene - "you cut up way too much in class for me to ever give you a good grade, but you really are a damn fine actor." HAHAHAHAHAHA! Classic.

This photo was taken last spring in San Francisco. We were, obviously, giving the patented "blue steel" look.



So anyway, here's to you, Bradley - one of my all-time favorite people. I wish you all the best that life has to offer in your 30s (I've been 30 myself for a couple of weeks and it ain't half-bad) - and please, get out there and find yourself a girl so I don't have to marry you.

Cheers, Hawkins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I think you and Brad are smoking hot here? Not in 1993, but now?

Anonymous said...

see above.