Saturday, June 03, 2006

Saturday

... has so far, been a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

BAD, BAD, BAD.

It started with insomnia, 6am. My bloody week off and I haven't slept more than 6 hours a night. I did meet Erin for bloody marys at 11, which was awesome and by far the highlight of my day. Holla! But here's the kicker: my computer crashed. CRASHED. Less than a week after my 90-day warranty. The GeekSquad and I are fairly certain it's the motherboard (it's not doing that tell-tale crashed hard drive clicking) which roughly translates to "buy a new laptop." Of course I have that kind of cash lying around. Of course I can take my time on this particular purchase since it's not like I'm currently enrolled in 2 classes that only last for the next 4 weeks. Of course it's backed up. *shakes head* I am going back to that online store where I bought it and leaving them the nastiest bad rating I can possibly leave. I'm meeting a computer technician at 9am on Monday morning. I have to leave town at 1pm, with my fixed computer, or a new one.

Don't even get me started on my current feelings about variance and standard deviation. We'll just call them my own personal Hell. By the way, what the hell is an ogive?

By the way, who here watches Battlestar Galactica? (Scott, Tom.) I can't wait to discuss it with someone. I just got to the cliffhanger at the middle of Season 2, that scene was awful and you know which one I'm talking about, Tyrol and Helo are in the brig on Pegasus, awaiting execution, Justice Mendoza just sent Vipers over to pick them up, Starbuck is off somewhere in the Blackbird on an illegal stealth mission, and Apollo is in the Raptor with that new dick CAG. OH, and Baltar is crying over the abused, mutilated Model Six. OH MY GAH. WHEN IS THE SECOND HALF COMING OUT???? Oh, the second half that's on my crashed laptop?? Yeah, that one.

I hate today.

8 comments:

Brain Diva said...

I hear you about variance and standard deviation. Those are concepts that are not easy to grasp. Let me know if I can help.

An ogive is also what we call an S function, because it has a shape of an S albeit a slightly distorted one. Let's see if I can find a pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Normal_distribution_cdf.png

The ogive function is just a way to represent the cumulative quantity of points that have been accounted for so far in a distribution (we call it a cumulative frequency graph). For example, if students had the following scores on a test in a class: 55, 60, 71, 64, 84, 83, 63, 82, 75, 62. You have 2 ways to plot that in a bar graph. You can do a regular frequency graph where you indicate 1 student got between 50-59, 4 students got btw 60-69, 2 students got between 70-79 & 3 students got between 80-89. In contrast, in a cumulative frequency graph, you add up the scores below a given point. you must calculate this as a percentage of the total number of scores you have available. It is basically a calculation of proportion. More concretely, it means that you would draw a bar representing 10% (or 0.1 or 1 out 10 scores) of students were below 59%, (1+4 out of scores) 50% (or 0.5) got below 69%, (1+4+2= 7) 70% got below 79%,... So your bars are higher and higher as you got to the right of the graph, giving it this S shape.

Wow, I got way too carried away talking about stats. LOL

hello jamie: said...

that just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

krysten said...

lol! i must have lost my mathmatical edge...i was thinking about the ogive as a shape, like an arch. but i guess you WERE talking about a statistics class, so that should've been my FIRST clue.

geez louise, what a day eh? maybe i'll keep the details of my fun weekend to myself then.... :(

iamchanelle said...

uuuuuuuh, am i the only one that feels stupid here? you may recall i am not very good at math...

seriously. i feel more stupider now.

:0)

Brain Diva said...

Awww J. I'm sure you can learn this stuff. Honestly, the basic concepts are really more intimidating than difficult. Pinky swear! I get to force this material on a bunch of non-math inclined psych students every year at 9:00 am; I know about daggers in the eyes when it comes to stats. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yowza... just got caught up. MY POOR JAMIE... Hang in there and know I love you!!!!

(And we will find you those BSG episodes if it KILLS ME...)

Dannybrou said...

Stats... no thanks. Just ask erin...

Daniel said...

Stopped by your blog and the Battlestar Galactica words caught my eye. Yes it is awful and amazing and I have seen the rest of season 2 but I won't spoil it for you.