Tuesday, November 28, 2006

a day in the life...

Uncle Al, you're going to love this one.

So, I asked my landlady to replace the weather-stripping under my door. She forgot, about 3 times, so I finally left her a note and she called to tell me that my door was rotting, gross, and they were replacing the entire thing.

So I come home from school today and there's no door on my apartment. Like, no door at all. The carpenter is happily working on my new door next to the old door on the porch, while sawdust and leaves blow into my apartment at will. A little bit later, he realizes that he has the wrong hardware (why he didn't figure that out BEFORE HE TOOK MY DOOR OFF I'll never know), so, I'm glad I was home to baby sit the hole in my wall.

He gets back and it's almost dark, so hey, would I mind if he just finished tomorrow?? I don't have any locks on my door, except the little one in the knob. He stuffed a t-shirt into my open peep hole hole, and gave me a drop cloth for the 3" gap between the door and my apartment floor. He also left his shop vac in my living room.

And since I'm all sicky and just want to lie around tomorrow eating soup, I'm very excited about the fact that I get to spend tomorrow in front of an open door.

Awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And yet, here you are, blogging away, so I'm guessing that the escaped killers haven't found you yet. Please log on to iChat tomorrow morning so we know you're still with us.

Nice story.

Anonymous said...

I have a baseball bat my mom gave me when I moved into my first apartment...if you would like the extra protection ;)

Charlie Roch said...

*hug*

Um... can you get your door upgraded to a drawbridge ?