Thursday, November 20, 2008

holiday funk

So, it's cold now, and gray. So very, very gray. I don't really love this time of year like I used to. For one thing, I don't really belong anywhere, so there's always the dance of who's going to take me in for the holidays, which makes me feel... misplaced. I know there are any number of people who would be happy to have me, but I don't like feeling like a burden. Secondly, I'm a single gal, and I love love love to buy gifts, but I can't ever afford to do Christmas the way I want to. I have 2 sets of parents, 5 siblings, and 8 nieces and nephews, plus all my aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends I feel SO overwhelmed. I know they don't care, but *I* care. I like to give presents to my loved ones.

At any rate, I've had a rather glorious week of detoxing from my work year, but my roommate is coming home today, so I had to pick up the living room and try to fluff out the Jamie-shaped indention in the couch. Time to get in productivity-mode for Thanksgiving. You can find my menu here, if you're interested.

Yesterday was double-feature day at the movie-house with my friend Seth, and between films we wandered through Borders. There was a whole rack of holiday movies (yes, including Holiday in Handcuffs-- I was thisclose to buying it for you, Rori, but see above paragraph about how poor I am). I settled on a $9.99 dvd called "Holiday Treats," that includes holiday epidsodes of I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Taxi, Family Ties, Frasier, and Wings. Rock. ON.

Anyway, I miss the blogging days of yore, when Krysten and Tom were around all the time, and the TANC was in solid effect... can I get an amen? Where is everyone? Signed, Lonely in a Grey City.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

{sympathy} Sorry you're feeling this as Thanksgiving approaches. I can understand your frustration. {/sympathy}

{tough love} Hey, be thankful that you have so many people who would love to have you join them for Thanksgiving. You chose the vagabond lifestyle, and you often revel in the great aspects of it, so quit the pity party. {/tough love}

{encouragement}I wish for you a lucullan holiday. {/encouragement}

{dang} It wouldn't let me use <>, since those create actual html code, so I used {} {/dang}

dw said...

I also miss TANC (as a matter of fact I started a thread there not too long ago just to see if anyone still came around -- last year Clark Kent posted and of course since no one was around, there were no responses for a long time and he figured it was history). I wish we could all still "talk" every so often. I always loved the "sisterhood."

Wherever you end up this holiday season, Jamie, I hope you have a great holiday, with friendship, happiness and health. :)

Bee said...

Ah, how I miss Tanc. Good times indeed.