Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Prop 8

I'm sure even non-Californians have heard about Proposition 8, right? They are trying to repeal the brand-new legalized marriage of same-sex couples in California. It was a very hot item on this year's ballot, every bit as important as President to a lot of Californians.

I was reading up on the numbers this morning and I found this little gem of a photo:






I know; stereotypes exist for a reason. We have our baby-boomer-aged soccer mom holding up a "protect marriage" sign and our tattooed, sparsely-clothed presumed-gay-dude-in-ridiculous-hat holding up his "equality for all" sign, and then what? A bald guy on the left with a Mervyn's Going Out of Business sale sandwich board??? I envision masses of formerly dedicated voters streaming across the street to buy last season's gymware and vanilla-scented candles. What a random photo.


Oh, and Al Franken won a Minnesota Senate Seat? Al Franken, formerly of Saturday Night Live? Al Franken, who wrote Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them? Wow, can anyone be in politics these days?


So, congratulations, America, on getting out and voting, and choosing President Obama. I'm so excited for this epic time in our history. And Senator McCain? Lovely and gracious concession speech. I tip my hat to you, sir. Thank you for your service to our country.

And now I should get up and get to work, where I will be around 3,000 men and women in various levels of fatigues and dress uniform. It's Joint Forces show attended exclusively of military personnel. I wonder how the general mood is going to be there today? I will try to keep my absolute elation on the DL until move-out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

unfortunately, Al Franken probably didn't win. They're doing a recount, since it was only separated by about 600 votes. His opponent is not such a good guy, and al franken is a smart guy who has some good things to say about governing, so the senate loses. boo.