Friday, April 11, 2008

just a couple of updates

Sorry I've been absent, but I've worked 73 hrs in the past 6 days, and also been somewhat under the weather, so I pretty much have been moving somewhat fluidly from bed to bus to desk to bed again. In approximately 36 hours I will have 7 days off, so I'm just standing by for more interesting pasttimes. And by "interesting pasttimes," I mean "sleeping longer than 6 hrs at a time, doing laundry, cleaning the bathroom, and going to the market." What a gripping life I lead!

In other news, this is one of the saddest (and yet, most fascinating) updates I've seen in some time. Is nothing sacred??? (I know, Karen, I know!)

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm speechless. WTF? I mean, it bummed me out that I hadn't seen these (or the Baby Sitter's Club) in stores for a long time, but I kept in mind that it was because they were written, like, 20 years ago and probably wouldn't appeal to today's kids.

That said, updating the old stuff to make it current? LAME. I love how the column points out that they weren't supposed to be like Gossip Girl (which I think is okay as a guilty pleasure for adults, but something I think kids are striving to be like now, and that grosses me out. I read the first book a few years ago and I had no desire to read the rest or watch he show because it freaked me out -- too much soap opera for too young an age group) and are supposed to be timeless.

SIGH.

Anonymous said...

I know the girl posing as the twins on the cover. She's.. um.. a handful.

Date on Monday afternoon, Jamie?

hello jamie: said...

I know this is a random soapbox from a girl who actually wears a size 4, but for some reason I am absolutely enraged that they changed the twins' "perfect, slim six 6 figure" to a size 4. WTF? If I remember correctly they were 5'6"-- so a size 6 seems a completely respectable ratio. Why are Americans so obsessed with women shaped like 12-year old boys? When did curves become "Ugly Betty"? PS> America, you are the prettiest "ugly" girl I have ever seen. People make me angry.

Tom, yes. I need our date!!!!

Karen said...

I would've loved to have sat in on that editorial meeting:"Uh, Elizabeth and Jessica were size 6 back in the day. They're, like, total heifers by today's standards. No girl would want to read about someone that obese." I can't believe that a female in an editorial capacity would've let this go down without a fight, otherwise there are some really messed up editors out there.

I want to know who decided that girls want to read about characters that society deems they should aspire to be instead of characters they actually relate to. Ugh.