Friday, April 04, 2008

Connie Kelley's Birthday

So, yesterday I had a minor "surgery"/"outpatient procedure." I won't go into much detail here as it had to do with my lady parts, but I must say it was one of the most painful things I've ever done to myself. It took a LOT longer than the doctor anticipated (apparently my lady parts were playing hard to get with the multitudes of metal instruments introduced to them) and she ended up having to bring other dilating equipment in and then once we were all done (and I was sweaty and close to passing out) she had to do a sonogram to make sure there were no mishaps. Not an external sonogram like the kind where you look at a baby. Nope, that had to go inside, too. Geez.

I spent all last night drinking hot peppermint tea under a blanket and a heating pad and I took 4 advil and an ambien before bed last night. I really wanted to sleep through the sharp, stabbing pains and waves of nausea. It worked, because I slept for almost 9 hours and I feel soooo much better today! (Granted, I'm not even vertical yet, but I have high hopes for getting up soon.) I was planning on going to yoga today but I'm thinking I might opt for lying in bed a little while longer. I need to call my mom (it's her birthday) and I have to be at work at 1- so I'm going to take it easy, post-op style.

Also, I've never been one to have seasonal allergies, but I guess my first spring in California is presenting me with new pollen and blooming things. I don't feel horrible or have a fever, but the constant itchy, watery eyes and runny nose are really annoying. Any suggestions on a) natural remedies, or B) over the counter remedies? I bought some local honey; I heard that helped.

Hotdog, work just called and our dates were wrong- I have to go in right NOW. SUCK. There went my morning of convalescence.

Happy Jamie's Mom's Birthday, Happy Friday, and Happy Battlestar Galactica Day!

11 comments:

J.T. said...

Yes, the powers that be around here have insisted to me that local honey is the be-all and end-all for allergies. You should definitely try that. But you gotta do it every day.

Personally - I hate honey, and I don't plan on being "local" forever, soo....

Anonymous said...

I just caught Raising Arizona on the movies list...
nice.

B* G: I have a song that I like to sing sometimes, and Kay Jay likes to sing it with me even though she doesn't watch the show. It's hard to describe the musical rythm, but imagine an upbeat Andrew Lloyd Webber tune. It typically begins "Baaa-ttle-staaar, Ga-laaact-i-caaa" and then "fill-in ran-dommm thoughts for fuuun-i-caaaa".

I'm excited.

Cheers,
Scotticus

krysten said...

ugh. been there with the lady parts thing, dontcha love those internal ultrasounds? i've had more than my share, and some during excruciating pain. fun times.

claritin is my go-to antihistamine. get the one WITHOUT the decongestant unless you want the "screaming crazies". i get the off brand lortadine and it works just fine, they even have some that melt in your mouth without having to swallow them with water. love.

Karen said...

Oh, man, just thinking about lady-parts surgery has made me cross my legs. You are a braver woman than I am -- I would've passed out at first mention of lady-part surgery.

Also, I've been meaning to ask about Battlestar Galactica. I watched the first few episodes (and the pilot movie) and wasn't that bowled over. It's still in my Netflix queue and I was wondering if it picks up at a certain point or if it's just something you love from the start and maybe I wasn't feeling it? I know a lot of people who do adore it, and I was curious...

iamchanelle said...

woman! what the heck with all the injuries and the surgeries and the craziness over there!!! i hope you feel better soon - and i agree with krysten, claritin (or the store brand) works pretty good for my allergies, too. i used it almost every day i was there visiting you, as a matter of fact.

Anonymous said...

girlie surgery does not sound like fun. I hope you're able to get some rest and recover from that :(

my doc gave me some "home remedies" for my bad allergies in addition to the Claritin, Singulair, Sudafed, and Mucinex DM....take a hot shower every morning and every night; before you go to bed, put Vick's on your chest and on the bottom of your feet then put on socks (sounds crazy, I know); get a sinus rinse kit and use it every day (kinda makes you feel like you are drowning when you first use it but just remember to breathe out during the process)

hope that helps! :)

Anonymous said...

Karen-- Battlestar was easy for me to get into because I used to love the original version as a kid. Now it's got better visual effects and longer running, more intimate plot lines and philosophical commentary...either that or when I was a kid all I paid attention to were the battles and the pint-sized robot that always said, "Eady-beady, OK, Buck".
That said, my wife wasn't thrilled by her introduction to the show either, so I'd be interested to have Jamie's take on what drew her interest.
Cheers,
Scotticus

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Eady-beady Buck Rogers, not BSG?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE'S MOM! Thanks for providing such a kickass ovum that grew into such a kickass chick!

And Jamie, can we talk? GREAT episode, but all set-up. Nothing in there I didn't already assume was going to happen. THIS WEEK's however... THIS WEEK'S has some serious Cylon sh!t going down and I can't WAIT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wait. She's not a chick. Sorry. My bad.

The ovum still rocks my world though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh-- Tom's right! That was Buck Rogers. Well, at least I can still love Hawk. Wait-- that was Buck Rogers, too!
There was still Mufit, right? The mechanical dog. And the red back-and-forth eyes of the Cylons. And the cool ships, with round cylon raiders. And the total kick-butt Lorne Green.
Whew. Now it's coming back. Sorry about the mix up. I was just trying to be funny... unsuccessfully. As a kid, I liked both shows for the cool characters and the battles. Although I guess that still doesn't address Karen's point.
-Scotticus

hello jamie: said...

Lorne Green!!!!

I pretty much loved it from the get-go, Scotty, but I am a fan of sci-fi in general, and I don't think that is a trait that your lovely wife shares.

As They say, "variety is the spice of life." I think They also say "it takes all kinds." They say a lot of crap, don't They? But I think They got it right on this point.

Tom, let's have an IM date. Say, Monday?