Tuesday, January 08, 2008

resale therapy

So, my girl Erin is a self-professed shopaholic, and is keeping a 2008 LJ on everything she buys. I think that's a brilliant idea, if for no other reason than it's cataloging for her, and everything seems a bit more shocking in black and white than in your head, lol. I try to do that with food every once in a while and I think it's a good practice. Anyway, it made me want to tell you guys about one of my own New Year's Resolutions, which is to buy ummmm, most of my clothes, say 80%, at the resale shop.

I'm not a huge fan of shopping at all, but what girl doesn't like having new clothes? And my wardrobe is sadly ill-equipped for San Francisco. My quintessential hot-weather uniform of knee-length bohemian skirts and wife-beaters tanks has no place in this climate. Goodbye, cropped pants. My "winter" clothes from NY are too hot. I can pretty much never wear flip-flops (or really, even high heels). It's rather sad, and extremely inconvenient, as for the last 4 months I've lived in jeans, hiking boots, and my Champion hoodie over a t-shirt over a long-underwear shirt. I need to re-work my entire wardrobe to live here- in light layers, non-jeans, sweaters with 3/4 length sleeves, thin scarves, and comfortable shoes.

ANYway, as I clearly can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe, I am piecing things together rather slowly. And as much as I would like to buy all American-made clothes, well, that is rather cost-prohibitive as well. BUT, by buying thrift, resale, & used- I can save a little dough and keep that 12-year old in Bangkok from having to make another one. And oh, I say 80% because obviously undergarments, yoga clothes, and a few other key items will have to be new.

So yesterday, I went to Crossroads, (IMO, better than Buffalo Exchange, albeit a little snotty) with two $20 bills. I tried on 10 shirts/sweaters. Six of them fit, 4 did not. Here's where I decided to go through my 6 items, do some math, and figure out how many of the 6 I could have for my $40. Turns out, all six were marked 1/2 off. WHAT?! Since when does that happen? Usually my favorite thing is the most expensive. For kicks I looked at the 4 that I didn't like and not one of them was on sale! Crazy, mixed-up opposite day in the dressing room!

Anyway, turns out that I had to dip into my wallet for an extra $3.28, but for the grand total of $43.28, I bought a lime-green and white striped Gap sweater, a navy and cerulean Roxie sweater, an Anthropologie navy cardigan with rainbow buttons, a striped Gap t-shirt, and two 3/4-length pullover tops of indeterminable brand. (I only mention the brands not because I care so much but to illustrate how much money I saved. That Anthropologie cardigan alone was probably $120 when it was new.)

Anyway, I need to get on with my day and get to yoga so I can eat, shower, and pack - devote a little thinking to why it 15 degrees warmer in Boston than San Francisco and wondering if it will stay that way - and empty trash and refrigerator so I can leave for a week. I'm on the 11:25p red-eye so I'm sure I will sleep fitfully tonight. But I'm going to wake up in Massachusetts. Always freaks me out a little.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"pull over!"
"no, it's a cardigan, but thanks for noticing..."

I had to look up cerulean on the crayola web site to figure out what color it was. Turns out it is the second most popular crayon color in America. That hue also has the following personality traits: *cold* *calm* *relaxed* *loyal* *melancholy*

I like the crayola web site.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

If you are going to aim for a second hand wardrobe, San Francisco is a good town for you. I was so excited by all the resale shops. It was really good shopping!~

krysten said...

dumb & dumber = one of my favorite movies!

i hate clothes shopping. i especially hate resale clothes shopping. if i'm forced to shop for clothes i want it to be as easy as possible to find something that fits; having all the sizes in one spot for a certain shirt etc., is about all i can stand...scattered shopping makes me crazy.

i DO, however, enjoy shopping like that for YARN, go figure. sometimes you can find some nice wool for cheaps!

Anonymous said...

Yay for good bargains! I hate clothes shopping pretty much more than the dentist. I would probably like it better if I got six tops for 40 bucks. :-) You win.

iamchanelle said...

what a good deal! i love resale. it's like giving back to...yourself.

:)