Monday, January 21, 2008

shed a little light

You know how I sometimes describe to you guys "what I do" as a sort of glorified carnie? Well, this week I've left the glory behind, y'all. I'm ACTUALLY IN a big-top tent. Also? It's about 40 degrees and POURING. I just spent 14 hours in a tent, wearing 2 shirts, a fleece, cords, a scarf, a hat, Uggs, and fingerless gloves. And those are my inside clothes. I blew out the entire electrical circuit today by plugging 2 space heaters into the same power strip. It's so windy INSIDE my tent that the entire exhibitor lounge blew over. And the tent is starting to leak. It is not awesome.

So, today was the day to turn our thoughts to Martin Luther King Jr., the man who said "an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Good egg, that Marty. I can't do a lot of observing, as I must get to sleep now, as I have another Day o' Fun planned in the big top tomorrow. Hey, Uncle Al, remember when we went to see James Taylor under the stars? Like, 1999 maybe? I think that was the first time I ever saw you have a beer. Anyway, here's a shout-out:

Let us turn our thoughts today
To Martin Luther King.
And recognize that there are ties between us~
All men and women
Living on the earth
Ties of hope and love
Sister and brotherhood.

That we are bound together
In our desire to see the world become
A place in which our children
Can grow free and strong.
We are bound together
By the task that stands before us
And the road that lies ahead
We are bound and we are bound.

Cheers~

3 comments:

iamchanelle said...

thank goodness for fingerless gloves.

wow.

Anonymous said...

I remember the James Taylor concert, too!!! :D

Anonymous said...

You white folks trip me out!