Thursday, October 18, 2007

Viva Laughlin

This show is... bizarre. It's a musical-slash-nighttime soap opera. It's not exactly like a musical though, but the characters do randomly burst into song & dance. But it's like a pop song, and the soundtrack is playing the radio version of the song, and the actors sing along with it. Like, on top of it-- no illusion that it's the character vocalizing the soundtrack, if that makes sense. It's odd, and I kinda dig it.

I'm watching it to throw CBS a bone because they gave me a really good breakfast burrito from craft services on Tuesday. :) Nathaniel has been working on the show as a DIT (digital imaging technician) and I dropped him off at work the other day and got a free breakfast. I also went to pick him up a couple of hours early and got to hang out on set. I know a lot of my industry-savvy friends see set all the time, but it was SUPER cool for me. I basically sat in a tent in the cold and watched Nathaniel watch the monitors and talk through his walkie to the camera men. It was really interesting, despite the fact that they filmed about 20 seconds of show the entire time I was there. He can read the graphs on the monitors like he's in The Matrix or something. It was so COOL!

Also, when I walked in, I said "hey, what's up" to this guy I thought I had met that morning when I dropped him off (normal looking guy in a sweatshirt and a beard) and now as I'm watching it, I realize he was the actor, and I recognized him from Brothers & Sisters as the senator's gay priest brother. What a moron. Oh, also, the wife in the show is played by Sherri from Gilmore Girls- the ghost cast of which is apparently following me around this week (Suki was on Samantha Who? and that psychiatrist who the Gilmores Elder tried to set up with Christopher but ended up counseling Lorelai in her car in the driveway is now on The Office).

Anyway, I have to get to bed because my day tomorrow is starting really early, but I just wanted to say hi from New Orleans, the city in which my hair looks like Monica's that time Friends went to Barbados. Oh, and to tell you that I'm watching the Sex & the City where Carrie farts in bed with Big and it's the most mortifying and hilarious scene I've ever seen. Hysterical. And excruciating. Like, cover-your-eyes and scream-out-loud funny, no matter how many times I've seen it. Then that episode was followed by the "Just tell me I'm the one. You don't have to tell your mother or the whole world; just tell me" one and that's just the painful without the funny. Ouch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait - what about the psychiatrist who counselled Lorelai in her car!? That's Merlora Hardin! I love, love, love her!

Anonymous said...

Okay, 1 - Eric Winter will always be Rex from DOOL. Way to support your friend's bread and butter.

Secondly, Madchen Amick will always be Shelly on twin peaks. (Leo - NEW SHOES! *spit*)

And Viva Laughlin was not bizarre. It was humiliating. And a completely repulsive idea. Nothing worked. At all. Unredeeming, unlikable, the vocals with the songs was the strangest choice EVER and that dialogue?! "Wanna have sex?" God... and I can't get work on prime-time. Eff this...

Anonymous said...

(following your GG thread) Edward Herrmann is an intern on Grey's Anatomy.

and it makes me smile to think of your hair looking like Monica's from that episode

krysten said...

see? you read my craft posts and say whaaaa?, and i read your tv posts and say the same thing.

haha!

Desperately Desperate said...

It was cancelled already!! Damn that was fast.