Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Does Pokemon make you want to vomit?

OK, so, I went to see Mystere (Cirque du Soleil) at Treasure Island the other night. It was my first Cirque show, and it was amazing- unbelievably eerie and so cool and weird and I just loved it. But the oddest thing happened... it was the late show (started at 10:30p) and I had just had a huge Italian meal and it was really warm in the theater, and I kept nodding off (shocker), but I was loving it so much that I was forcing myself to stay awake. I practically had to prop my eyelids open with toothpicks. Anyway, the big finale was, of course, huge, and full of sweeping lights and music and flying people and craziness, and all of the sudden, this wave of dizziness hits me- hard, fast, and out of nowhere. I've never passed out, but I swear that's what was about to happen. I was nauseated and I really thought I was going to vomit. I closed my eyes and leaned back, and all I could think about was when that one Pokemon episode came out in Japan and hundreds of people went to the hospital with seizures. The room was literally spinning and my heart was fluttering and I honestly thought I was going to pass out. After about 3 minutes of gripping the arms of my chair, the finale was over and the house lights came up and it went away immediately. It was the craziest thing!! I have NO idea what happened, but I did a little internet research and think it was photosensitive epilepsy, or television epilepsy, which apparently can be triggered by flashing, colorful lights. Weird, huh? You know, come to think of it, I think Spy Barbie knocked out a planetarium full of scientists with a strobe light once.

If something similar ever happens to you, they say to cover one eye and turn away from the light (or screen) at an angle. This PSA was brought to you by the letter C and the number five.

No comments: